Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Planned obsolescence

Jim White wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
You have to have a kind of grudging admiration for the way that some
washing machine parts are designed to last *just* longer than
the warranty.

Our six year Hotpoint's main bearings are on their way out and the
parts warranty is of course five years. This will be the very first
washing machine that I've owned whose bearings have died before the
rest of the machine is beyond economic repair.

You did well Tim.
Ours has just died at just over two years. The 'guarantee' is
effectively worthless. This was a sealed drum assembly. I know there are
ways of replacing the bearings, but TBH I couldn't face the grief. I
will never buy another Hotpoint appliance.

Wouldn't have been my first choice but it was a "distress purchase" by my
other half. If I can keep it going for another six years with a bearing
kit it'll have done okay.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls