Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Planned obsolescence

On 30/10/16 17:23, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ writes:
You have to have a kind of grudging admiration for the way that some
washing machine parts are designed to last *just* longer than the warranty.

Our six year Hotpoint's main bearings are on their way out and the parts
warranty is of course five years. This will be the very first washing
machine that I've owned whose bearings have died before the rest of the
machine is beyond economic repair.

That age is probably on the boardline of having non-replacable bearings
too (welded drum seams).

Yes, it is deliberate. Most people will only pay minimum for a machine
now, and won't pay for perceived longevity. So to be competitive,
manufacturers just have to make sure the machine lasts past the end of
the warranty (6 years in law). If you want a machine which lasts 12 or
18 years, expect to pay at least 2-3 times as much, but they are a tiny
proportion of the UK retail white good market (and they will need
spares, and they also charge 2-3 times as much for spare parts).

I certainly value longevity - changing a big heavy machine is a PITA and
it's also a PITA if it breaks at an inconvenient time!

OTOH I'm sort of happy if a laptop breaks as I get to buy a new one
twice as powerful