Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default Planned obsolescence

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 7:19:45 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Friday, 28 October 2016 19:03:41 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
You have to have a kind of grudging admiration for the way that some
washing machine parts are designed to last *just* longer than the warranty.

Our six year Hotpoint's main bearings are on their way out and the parts
warranty is of course five years. This will be the very first washing
machine that I've owned whose bearings have died before the rest of the
machine is beyond economic repair.

Clearly you never owned the first UK mass produced automatic washer; the Hoover Keymatic.

It took me a while to figure out, and I did not buy a spindle, which I should have, but the satisfaction of bringing the machine back from the dead was worth the effort. Could do it in an hour now that I have done it once.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOTPOINT-A...AOSwwE5WVsm E