Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default moulded plugs

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:05:22 +0100, Chris Bartram wrote:

On 26/10/2016 08:44, Handsome Jack wrote:
What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually has to cut them off
and replace them?

One doesn't usually have to.

Indeed, one can disconnect the cable from the back of the machine and
thread it through the cable hole to reconnect it (I did this for our
under the worktop fridge space to provide a neat and tidy connection for
the fridge to the mains socket just above the worktop about ten years or
so ago).

However, before committing to the extra work, I'd suggest you try
running the machine for a week or three first, using if necessary, a
short heavy duty 13A extension socket to give it a good 'shake down' to
reveal any hidden defects that might require the attentions of a service
engineer who may need to move it beyond the limit of its mains lead
tether in order to gain sufficient elbow room (assuming the shop doesn't
simply swap it out for another new machine).

However, why not fit another socket below the worktop fed by a spur from
the socket above? This was basically the solution I used in the case of
the dishwashing machine right next to the kitchen sink unit.

In this case, I only had to consider the aesthetics of the job *above*
the worktop. The resulting 2.5mm FT&E below the worktop was simply
trailed the short distance to a single switched surface mounted socket
screwed onto the inside of the adjacent corner unit with a 2 inch
diameter hole nearby by which to feed the mains cable, plug and all, from
the dishwasher.

The extra wiring and the socket are out of sight and out of mind (and
importantly, better protected against damp ingress than the twin outlet
socket it is fed from) yet still readily accessible via the cupboard door
without the need to employ the services of a contortionist. Even thirty
odd years ago, it was enough of a faff to fit this extra 'dishwasher
socket' but I knew the invested effort was likely to pay huge dividends
later on. :-)

--
Johnny B Good