Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Help Google search Oscilloscope

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 3:12:34 PM UTC-7, mike wrote:
On 10/26/2016 1:43 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Thank you PF.
The link does tell me what is possible. I suppose by 'high pressure pdobe' they mean 'high voltage.
Hookup diagrams would be nice to have.
Of course the only electronics in a 1948 auto is the ignition system.
Would love to look at 4 cylinders (8 total) at a time with the Rigol.
I do have inductive pickups that I can salvage from timing lights.

Exactly what do you expect to see?
What are you gonna do with the information when you get it?

Is the benefit derived from that worth the risk of blasting
the front-end out of your scope?

What you see on the scope is likely to be more dependent
on your probing technique than the signals present.
When I experimented with monitoring fuel injection,
I had trouble getting rid of the ignition noise so I could look
at the injectors.

I have a Snap-On automotive scope with an input voltage
rating of 500V with 30KV surge rating, whatever that means.
I wouldn't go poking around aimlessly with that either.
I'm sure it's completely safe...except when it isn't.

Keep your digital scope out of your car unless you really, really
need to measure something that you can control to FIX something that's
broke.
Even the 12V...I guess it was 6V in 1948...electrical system is risky.

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Ap...tes/an9312.pdf

Thanks Mike,
I thought if I could see all the ignition activity at the same time (or at least 4 at a time) I could look for anomalies and identify a poorly firing spark plug or semi-faulty wire.

Thanks for the cautionary note. Will heed.

Ivan Vegvary