Posted to uk.d-i-y
JD[_12_] JD[_12_] is offline

Default Can't open my old PVC front door (gearbox seems shot). Help!

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 1:43:39 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
JD wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

I would try to drill through the Euro barrel at
the level of the retaining screw and then hope it pushes out.

Yes, that seems to be an option - if I can figure out what level the retaining screw is.

About 5mm up from the bottom of the euro cylinder

Thank you. I got the euro-cylinder out. The euro-cylinder itself seems okay.. The problem seems to be that the ring-gear that gets turned by the Euro-cylinder's projecting lug isn't having any effect when it is turned. maybe one of the internal gears is stripped of its teeth or something.

I should mention that the gearbox is of the type that requires two full turns of the key to unlock the door. Do you think it is possible to pick the locking mechanism inside the gearbox, still? I had a poke around with a back-to-front allen key held with mole grips but didn't have any luck. It might help if I could envisage what is inside the gearbox, and what needs to be moved.

JD