J. Clarke

Default *Putting* water in your DC collection bin?

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Richard Clements writes:
I'm going to have to go with Dave on this, growing up my dad was the fire
chief in a rural town in eastern ID, my grandfather was the fire chief in
Rexburg( 3 miles away), according to them you should NEVER leave wet
Organic material, hey, sawdust, grass clipping, etc. where they can't dry,

Does that mean I can't put them in a closed compost bin then? They
surely won't dry there (but they will get pretty warm).

The key there is _closed_. No oxygen.

they'll begin to rot which makes heat, then they start to smolder, and as
soon as there exposed to air (like dumping the container) they'll burst
into flames, ever wonder why the trash company doesn't want to take yard
clipping?

My trash company takes yard waste. One can either rent a bin
from the City or pile the stuff in the street for pickup.

scott

(However, I just emptied the DC into the compost pile last weekend, and
within a couple of hours, the chips (on the top of the pile) were at well
over 110 degree F - Now, mind you, I was jointing and planing both green
2x6's and KD studs, so there was definitely green wood in the pile).

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)