Posted to uk.d-i-y
rick rick is offline

Default Can't open my old PVC front door (gearbox seems shot). Help!

On 24/10/2016 09:33, JD wrote:
Hello friends,

My old UPVC front door won't open, as of this morning. The key turns
forever, but it is not releasing the lock. It has a multipoint
espagnolette lock with 4x mushroom studs, very much like the one in
the link below, but perhaps a different make:

http://tinyurl.com/jxlj9qt

The gearbox may have worn out. Is there any way to get it unlocked
without destroying the door?

It looks as though the hinges could be released by removing the pin
from each, but I'm not sure if that will help, because the mushroom
studs will still be engaged at the lock side.

If all else fails, I may be able to get hold of a replacement used
door, complete with frame and lock. So if I can't get this jammed
door open, I guess I'll have to cut the frame out with a stone cutter
and replace the whole door. However, I really hope that won't be
necessary.

Many thanks for any help here!

JD

There are plenty of guys set up to service PVC windows & doors - they
will sort this quickly.