Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default The bells at York

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 15/10/2016 23:54, Rod Speed wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is
dropping
off to sleep.

I that doesn't get you, R4 joins the World Service which remains a
spoken service which is fine for dropping off to ... until some
schools "music and movement" programme wakes you up at about 3am.

It shouldn’t be hard to organise a decent system that
turns the radio off when you are asleep. Fades it down
over a few minutes so that doesn’t wake you up.

I find all this rather odd. When I go to bed I turn the lights off

So do I.

and silence anything that is making an interesting noise.

I don’t bother with that and can sleep fine with dripping taps etc.

I don't want any interesting sounds because they would distract me from my
great pleasure, which is allowing my imagination to roam freely.

I go to sleep very quickly and don’t need to do anything like that.

Uninteresting noise doesn't matter. I'm lucky in that I can immerse myself
in any scenario that I fancy with good control, once my eyes are closed.

I don’t need to do anything like that, I just go to sleep.

My dad had this ability and could also close his eyes and describe what he
saw. For instance he could give a detailed commentary on everything seen
from a bicycle on a ride from Bentley to Idle Stop in the 1930s.

Don’t have anything like that sort of memory myself.

When he was alive he had vivid dreams, as do I.

Yeah, I do too. More so lately than I used to in the past
but that may just be because I remember them after waking
more than I used to. I was notorious as a child for talking in
my sleep but I never remembered any of those dreams.

I once went into his room and he was talking in his sleep. He was
conducting a public meeting in Ireland about a forthcoming agricultural
show. When I appeared he introduced me to the committee and I was obliged
to join in. It was an odd experience.

I bet.

I do miss him so much.

Yeah, I imagine you would.