Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_5_] Norman Wells[_5_] is offline

Default The bells at York

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
In message , Norman Wells
writes:
[]
If I liked gangsta rap, should I be allowed to broadcast it from a
tower as loud as
bells and for the same duration? Or would I be expected to indulge
that little peccadillo at home and in private?

I don't see any difference.

Well, one difference, though probably not germane to this discussion, is that
gangsta rap, like many forms of music from about the 1930s onwards, depends for
its nature on electronic amplification, whereas bells don't.

Indeed. That makes them even more unpleasant. You can't just go up there and pull
the plug.

Why not disband all the orchestras? There must be multiple recordings of every
classical piece in every significant interpretation by now.

The numbers are diminishing every year for all sorts of reasons, including that
one.

Anyway, do people listen to church bells because of the joy of a live performance
and the thrill of slight nuances in the third tenor or whatever it may be called?

They see it as part of "village life", or some similar concept. While in practice
many of them would not in fact be able to tell whether it was real or a recording
(if good quality and coming from the belfry), most of them would be seriously
cross if they discovered that the latter _was_ the case.

Well, that's totally irrational of course, so I won't pay it any heed. It's
impossible to deal satisfactorily with nutters.