Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default The bells at York

In message , Norman Wells
writes:
[]
If I liked gangsta rap, should I be allowed to broadcast it from a

tower as loud as
bells and for the same duration? Or would I be expected to indulge

that little peccadillo at home and in private?

I don't see any difference.

Well, one difference, though probably not germane to this discussion, is
that gangsta rap, like many forms of music from about the 1930s onwards,
depends for its nature on electronic amplification, whereas bells don't.

Why not disband all the orchestras? There must be multiple recordings
of every classical piece in every significant interpretation by now.

The numbers are diminishing every year for all sorts of reasons,
including that one.

Anyway, do people listen to church bells because of the joy of a live
performance and the thrill of slight nuances in the third tenor or
whatever it may be called?

They see it as part of "village life", or some similar concept. While in
practice many of them would not in fact be able to tell whether it was
real or a recording (if good quality and coming from the belfry), most
of them would be seriously cross if they discovered that the latter
_was_ the case.

Somehow, I rather doubt it.

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley