Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal

Default The bells at York

On 16/10/16 15:27, Norman Wells wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm very surprised the powers that be did not record the last few
years of bell ringing and just install big speakers in the bell tower
and flog the bells off for scrap.

Indeed. It raises the interesting point too that, if people like bells
so much, why don't they just buy a recording and listen to it at home in
private? There's no need for it to be inflicted on all and sundry.

If I liked gangsta rap, should I be allowed to broadcast it from a tower
as loud as bells and for the same duration? Or would I be expected to
indulge that little peccadillo at home and in private?

I refer you to the 'call to prayer' broadcast from mosques and other
minarets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6mGng9NTKU

I don't see any difference.

WEll it has to do with who was here first, you, the custom of
bell-ringing, or gangsta rap.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft