Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The bells at York

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm very surprised the powers that be did not record the last few
years of bell ringing and just install big speakers in the bell tower
and flog the bells off for scrap.

That would be the conservative way of course, the lefties would keep
employing bell ringers but forget to train anyone to follow or invest in
the maintenance of the belfry.

Is there any correlation at all between people who like to hear
bells ringing and their political views?
I would have thought it would appeal more to conservatives,
in both senses of the word.

I have never heard recorded bells that sound anything like real bells.

Quite. You would need a very decent sound system to get close. Not what
those doing it to save money would pay for.

And I'm surprised at Brian's views on training. Training costs money with
no short term profit. Exactly what's happened with business in the UK -
why train when you can poach people from abroad? Exactly the reverse of
what unions etc want. But true market forces.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.