Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default The bells at York

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 08:51:10 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

Well Bill is clearly in support and we've had views from some on why
they hate the bells being rung and I was curious as to what Bill liked
about it. Disappointingly his response in another post is unhelpful
but I guess some folk simply enjoy the English traditions that give
this country its identity which others would see sterilized.

Yes, I am with Bill on this one. The is something so very English about
church bells on a Sunday morning, and no, I don't object to hearing the
ringers practice at other times.

Where I live now (Aberdeenshire) there are three churches in the
village, only one of which sounds bells for service, but that is no more
than a toll. Not ringing in the English sense.

That is becoming a problem at more and more churches. It's not just
the congregations that are shrinking but there are not enough new
recruits to ring the number of installed bells. Bell ringers have
nearly always rung for other than service occasions but generally take
their service ringing duties seriously. A substantial amount of
practice is required and for those that complain of clashing of bells
it is generally because the band is not good enough. Hauling several
100cwt of metal around that goes through its stop start stop cycle in
2secs and with an accuracy of better than 40ms takes practice.

The young York ringers have written a letter which may be of interest:

http://www.yorkminsterbells.org.uk/?p=479

--
AnthonyL