Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

In article ,
David Paste wrote:
(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Dunno. Bought a new laptop and changed to an SSD. Which totally
transformed the start up time.

Decided to do the same with an older smaller and more basic one I use for
car stuff, and it made little or no difference.

Sometimes its like fixing a congestion point on a road - that traffic
jam just moves to the next slowest junction. Old machines may be disk
limited, but you may find the CPU is not far behind - so you clear the
first problem, and then find that its still slow but now for a different
reason (i.e. not have the CPU grunt).

--
Cheers,

John.