Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

Any other brand worth looking at?

(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Thank you in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

I think the simple answer is that the 850 will last longer. I saw 3 year
vs 5 year warranty mentioned somewhere - that'll be based on the amount
of data which can be written before the thing give sup.

Any other brand worth looking at?

(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

It probably will. You could always run top and see how long it spends in
CPU wait - if it's waiting for the hard disk, SSD will improve things.

I've got a pair of 850 EVOs in this laptop - seem to work. We made a
database server run rather more quickly with a pair at work too, though
that wasn't intended for long term use. I'd get another if I needed one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

There, simple

Why:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8997/s...s-in-the-works

OK - that was the 840, but they took so long to address the problem, I
would not trust them.

Also, I don't yet trust Triple Level Cells which is what Samsung are
pushing.

Any other brand worth looking at?

Yes:

PLEXTOR PX-512M6 (mSATA format) have been solid in my daily use laptop
for 3 years now.

SanDisk SDSSDXP1 (SATA) has been solid in my home router for 2-3 years.

Essentially, Sandisk or Plextor.
You won't find massive capacities yet, because they are sticking to MLC
(2 level cells) which are reliable tech.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

Also, I don't yet trust Triple Level Cells which is what Samsung are
pushing.

I've been happy so far with a Samsung 850 Pro, I think that's 3 bit MLC,
I'm not aware of any other drive that comes with a 10 year warranty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 08:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

Also, I don't yet trust Triple Level Cells which is what Samsung are
pushing.

I've been happy so far with a Samsung 850 Pro, I think that's 3 bit MLC,
I'm not aware of any other drive that comes with a 10 year warranty.

Shouldn't the warranty just be treated as marketing hype with the
manufacturers knowing that the majority of users will move onto another
better computer/disk well within that timespan. Furthermore a 10 year
warranty does not mean that the device will last that long. The
manufacturer has just factored into the selling price the cost of a like
for like replacement which after a few years will be the models at the
very bottom of their current range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm not aware of any other drive that comes with a 10 year warranty.

Shouldn't the warranty just be treated as marketing hype with the
manufacturers knowing that the majority of users will move onto another
better computer/disk well within that timespan. Furthermore a 10 year
warranty does not mean that the device will last that long.

Of course a warranty is no substitute for backups.

SSDs have a wear-rate and drive manufacturers do seem to assign
warranties to devices in relation to their lifespan (note reducing
warranty length on SATA drives in recent years).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to
SSDs and *everything* is much snappier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 08:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/10/16 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

There, simple

Why:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8997/s...s-in-the-works

Kingston here. Cheap unit. Just Works.

If it does 5 years its better than any hard drive...

Booting is now down to under ten seconds power-to-login-prompt.

Firefox loads in a second, not ten.

But the graphics aren't any faster.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 09:54:16 +0100, Bod wrote:

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to
SSDs and *everything* is much snappier.

I put an SSD into a netbook and am surprised at the difference it
made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

Any other brand worth looking at?

(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

What (numerical) model laptop, CPU, Graphics, RAM?

Standard Ubuntu's Unity Interface can be a bit heavy especially if you
have a poor graphics chipset or are missing a crucial driver.

Try a lighter distribution/interface. i.e. Mint/MATE, Xubuntu/XFCE,
Lubuntu/LXDE etc...

Linux might be screaming under the hood but if the interface is like
wading through nonaccelerated graphical mud, adding an SSD won't be a
comprehensive fix. Sure it might boot faster. But ....

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 09:50, Andy Burns wrote:

SSDs have a wear-rate and drive manufacturers do seem to assign
warranties to devices in relation to their lifespan (note reducing
warranty length on SATA drives in recent years).

That's OK as long as every manufacturer uses the same method of testing
so that the figures from one manufacturer can be compared directly with
another's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 10:36, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 09:50, Andy Burns wrote:

SSDs have a wear-rate and drive manufacturers do seem to assign
warranties to devices in relation to their lifespan (note reducing
warranty length on SATA drives in recent years).

That's OK as long as every manufacturer uses the same method of testing
so that the figures from one manufacturer can be compared directly with
another's.

They are all good enough for personal use. Unless you are running a data
centre, don't worry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 10:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

Faster booting, faster program load and, if memory is short faster
access to swap if that's on the SSD (although if you want to wear out an
SSD, using it for swap is one of the best ways).

Add more RAM FIRST to fix sluggish machines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , alan_m
escribió:

the figures from one manufacturer can be compared directly with
another's

They can't, that's the problem. This is where objective benchmarks like
AS-SSD and online reviews are useful.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Paste wrote:
(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Dunno. Bought a new laptop and changed to an SSD. Which totally
transformed the start up time.

Decided to do the same with an older smaller and more basic one I use for
car stuff, and it made little or no difference.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-10-15, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/10/16 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

I won't be buying anything else (*) made by Samsung. And I don't even have
a Note 7.

(* We have a 65" curved Samsung TV. The software is utter ****.)

I take it you haven't tried Panasonic yet then...

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 October 2016 01:23:15 UTC+1, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

Any other brand worth looking at?

(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Thank you in advance.

Linux has a prefetch problem I have no real idea about but I think it screws with the boot up when stray emf bursts occur.

Sequential prefetching is a well established technique for improving I/O performance. Prefetching algorithm ... challenged by many unexpected problems.

To meet the new demands ... safe, flexible, simple, scalable yet efficient is desired. He demonstrates how it handles ... common read ahead issues to help readers building both theoretical and practical views of sequential prefetching.

http://www.ece.eng.wayne.edu/~sjiang...-readahead.pdf

For me that is atmospherics in which case, hopefully, a direct writing capability will minimise any lost boots and bridge software problems.

Or should do. But you will of course be using the archive tool regularly to store folders on your second spare?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29518...simple-backup/ sounds more florid than useful. What I read was from StackOverload and beyond my paygrade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 October 2016 09:44:57 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

We are in for a blast of ferrets any time now so try not to lose any boot records by deleting replaced files after an update.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...ime=1476748800

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Faster booting, faster program load and, if memory is short faster
access to swap if that's on the SSD (although if you want to wear out an
SSD, using it for swap is one of the best ways).

Add more RAM FIRST to fix sluggish machines.

Yes, we don't know the OPs hardware spec (not given). With more than a
couple gig, I'd be looking for issues elsewhere. Ever seen X run without
acceleration?

Hard drives are fast enough. SSD was never a prerequisite for Linux.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/49318...w-on-my-laptop

Maybe required for the bloat in Windows 10!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:33:48 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

I think that might I have here with a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. ;-(

It's running the XP it was 'Designed for' reasonably well and W7
similarly well (on a mobile CPU running at 1.6Ghz with a max of 1.5Gb
of RAM that is) but I can't seem to get any distro (I've tried so far)
to even boot (from a LiveDVD)?

I watched a Youtube vid where someone had 'Elementry' Linux running
but I notice that is only available in 64 bit now.

I could try Puppy but I was hoping for a 'real' Linux just in case
there was a generic OBD utility I could use it for (I have Forscan,
VAG-Com and Op-Com on Windows).

Or just use Linux as a fast(er?) booting browser solution?

I could also treat it to an SSD (along with the new battery and car
PSU / charger) but I think that may be a step too far.

You would think that if these Toughbooks would be more Linux
compatible, or Linux more Toughbook compatible, considering they were
designed to be 'tools'?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/10/2016 14:20, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:33:48 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

I think that might I have here with a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. ;-(

It's running the XP it was 'Designed for' reasonably well and W7
similarly well (on a mobile CPU running at 1.6Ghz with a max of 1.5Gb
of RAM that is) but I can't seem to get any distro (I've tried so far)
to even boot (from a LiveDVD)?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-cf-31.754580/

I have no idea whether that's at all helpful?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 14:33, GB wrote:
On 15/10/2016 14:20, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:33:48 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

I think that might I have here with a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. ;-(

It's running the XP it was 'Designed for' reasonably well and W7
similarly well (on a mobile CPU running at 1.6Ghz with a max of 1.5Gb
of RAM that is) but I can't seem to get any distro (I've tried so far)
to even boot (from a LiveDVD)?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-cf-31.754580/

I have no idea whether that's at all helpful?

Linux mint 17 or 18 MATE would be a good place to start

Since around 14, they always seem to boot the live DVD at least.

And MATE is very XP-like.

This is interesting.

https://www.bobjohnson.com/blog/givi...fe-with-linux/

Now I have never heard of elementary OS linux, but the good new seems to
be that at least Ubuntu and children will install and work.
I'd definitely try a live MINT 17 or 18 DVD to see how it performs.

The only real issues I have noticed with machines of that age is choppy
FLASH videos.

Sometimes there is a better set of video drivers that help, but the real
answer is to install better video cards.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:51:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 15/10/16 10:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

snip

Faster booting, faster program load and, if memory is short faster
access to swap if that's on the SSD (although if you want to wear out an
SSD, using it for swap is one of the best ways).

snip

Just pondering on SSDs and Swap.

If you have a system with just an SSD then what do you use as swap?

Assuming that you don't (as in most laptops and older desktops) have the
space for masses of memory?

Cheers

Dave R

--
Windows 8.1 on PCSpecialist box
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 15:03, David wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:51:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 15/10/16 10:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

snip

Faster booting, faster program load and, if memory is short faster
access to swap if that's on the SSD (although if you want to wear out an
SSD, using it for swap is one of the best ways).

snip

Just pondering on SSDs and Swap.

If you have a system with just an SSD then what do you use as swap?

I use the SSD but with 8GB or RAM it takes a page that never moves and
that's it! I've got just 1.78MB in the swap partition.

You can run without swap at all if that is what you want.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/10324...ff-permanently

Assuming that you don't (as in most laptops and older desktops) have the
space for masses of memory?

Use the SSD. MUCH faster.

SSDS do wear out, but so does spinning rust.

My solution is that only programs and configs live on my desktop SSD -
all the data is on a spinning rust server. Except a windows virtual
machine. But that's data too is on the server.

That gives me a fast desktop, and reliable backed up data.

Cheers

Dave R

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 14:33:55 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 15/10/2016 14:20, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:33:48 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

I think that might I have here with a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. ;-(

It's running the XP it was 'Designed for' reasonably well and W7
similarly well (on a mobile CPU running at 1.6Ghz with a max of 1.5Gb
of RAM that is) but I can't seem to get any distro (I've tried so far)
to even boot (from a LiveDVD)?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-cf-31.754580/

I have no idea whether that's at all helpful?

Thanks for that, I had found it previously but they seem to be wrong
in than most distros *today* (rather than 2014) don't seem to even
boot to the desktop (unusual on most PC's I've tried, especially in
Compatibility mode), let alone get embroiled with the WiFi or
touchscreen (that I think is broken in any case).

So either this Toughbook is faulty in some way that Linux doesn't like
but Windows seems ok with) or it really just isn't Linux compatible
enough with any recent distro (and I'm not sure there would be much
point in installing something that is already obsolete, especially if
it doesn't actually bring anything useful to the party).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 14:57:14 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

snip

I'd definitely try a live MINT 17 or 18 DVD to see how it performs.

With that thought in mind and a copy of Mint 18 MATE 32 bit in front of
me I gave it another go and to my surprise, it did boot and run. I then
installed it over a copy of Ubuntu that I put on there a while back (and
wouldn't then run for some reason) and it booted ok. It also reminded me
of one of the issues I found when trying Linux on here last time (as was
mentioned in the link BM provided and that was that the touchpad needs
attention. ATM it takes a frustrating ¬18 swipes to go from top to bottom
of the screen. ;-(

This is where the fun (not) generally starts for me, trying to get the
stuff that doesn't work automagically, working without breaking
everything else.

snip

So I'm running Mint on said Toughbook now and other than applying all the
updates and installing Pan, I've done nothing else as yet (video, WiFi,
hotkeys etc all working OOTB).

Pan seems pretty sluggish but Linux feels reasonable in general (FF
launches in about 8 seconds).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 18:05, T i m wrote:
[...]

Read that link I posted. It says how to get the touchpad/screen working
etc etc.

snip

So I'm running Mint on said Toughbook now and other than applying all the
updates and installing Pan, I've done nothing else as yet (video, WiFi,
hotkeys etc all working OOTB).

Pan seems pretty sluggish but Linux feels reasonable in general (FF
launches in about 8 seconds).

That's disk delay. SSD should help that.

Almost tempted me to buy a toughpad. Looks a machine not to throw away.

I thought it would be 64 bit tho. THat really helps graphics speeds.

Cheers, T i m

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:13:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This is where the fun (not) generally starts for me, trying to get the
stuff that doesn't work automagically, working without breaking
everything else.

Read that link I posted. It says how to get the touchpad/screen working
etc etc.

I did and I'm afraid it doesn't seem to mention how to fix the touchpad
(very slow) speed outside opening the touchpad control panel setting that
I don't have?

snip

So I'm running Mint on said Toughbook now and other than applying all
the updates and installing Pan, I've done nothing else as yet (video,
WiFi, hotkeys etc all working OOTB).

Pan seems pretty sluggish but Linux feels reasonable in general (FF
launches in about 8 seconds).

That's disk delay. SSD should help that.

Whilst I'm sure it could, I feel this is more than just a speed issue as
*everything* re Pan is *very* slow but not so with anything else (like FF
or OO Writer etc). I double clicked on the Pan icon I'd put on the
desktop and 1) there was no launch notification and 2) because of that
over the next 2 minutes several instances of Pan opened up, and finally
your post.

Almost tempted me to buy a toughpad. Looks a machine not to throw away.

I was given this (ToughBOOK?) after helping a mate upgrade it to a
CF-31. ;-)

I thought it would be 64 bit tho. That really helps graphics speeds.

I'm sure the latter machines are 64 bit.

I thought it would be idea as a workstop manual / car diagnostic tool as
it's reasonably rugged / water-resistant and adequate for the little time
I might be using it.

I've just applied the restart-fix (from your link) and I'll test it now
(I have to power off when trying to restart).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 17:59:18 +0000, T i m wrote:

snip

I've just applied the restart-fix (from your link) and I'll test it now
(I have to power off when trying to restart).

And it seems to have fixed that. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
alan_m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm not aware of any other drive that comes with a 10 year warranty.

Shouldn't the warranty just be treated as marketing hype with the
manufacturers knowing that the majority of users will move onto another
better computer/disk well within that timespan. Furthermore a 10 year
warranty does not mean that the device will last that long.

Of course a warranty is no substitute for backups.

SSDs have a wear-rate and drive manufacturers do seem to assign warranties
to devices in relation to their lifespan (note reducing warranty length on
SATA drives in recent years).

That last is due to a quite different cause, not because they dont last as
long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to SSDs
and *everything* is much snappier.

Only with the laptops that dont have enough physical memory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 08:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/10/16 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

There, simple

Why:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8997/s...s-in-the-works

Kingston here. Cheap unit. Just Works.

If it does 5 years its better than any hard drive...

That's not right. None of my hard drives have died
and plenty of them are quite a bit older than that.

Booting is now down to under ten seconds power-to-login-prompt.

But I do that so rarely that I couldnt care less about that.

Firefox loads in a second, not ten.

I hardly ever use that either.

But the graphics aren't any faster.

..I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bull****. My desktop has 32GB and the SSD still makes an enormous difference.

--
Little Tony was staying with his grandmother for a few days.. He'd been playing outside with the other kids for a while when he came into the house and asked her, "Grandma, what's that called when 2 people sleep in the same room and one is on top of the other?"

She was a little taken, but she decided to just tell him the truth. "It's called sexual intercourse, darling".

Little Tony just said, "Oh, OK," and went back outside to play with the other kids.

A few minutes later he came back in and said angrily, "Grandma, it isn't called sexual intercourse. It's called "Bunk Beds". And Jimmy's mum wants to talk to you."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 09:54:16 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to
SSDs and *everything* is much snappier.

Agreed. I guess his day to day use is opening one word processor and using it for hours.

--
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation a
"Why is it doing that?", "Where the hell are we?", and "Oh ****!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 October 2016 10:33:51 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

What (numerical) model laptop, CPU, Graphics, RAM?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, this is what is reported:

Intel T2080 @ 1.73 GHz x 2
Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
32 bit OS
2 GB RAM

I also have the option to use a different laptop:

Intel Celeron C900 @ 2.20 GHz
Integrated Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset Family
32 bit OS, x64 based processor
3 GB RAM

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 21:52, David Paste wrote:
On Saturday, 15 October 2016 10:33:51 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

What (numerical) model laptop, CPU, Graphics, RAM?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, this is what is reported:

Intel T2080 @ 1.73 GHz x 2
Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
32 bit OS
2 GB RAM

Open a terminal window and type this command. It will run a graphics
spinning gears demo in another window.

glxgears -info

In the terminal window (scroll up, it's the first output) you should see
values for GL_RENDERER, GL_VERSION and GL_VENDOR.

Should be similar to

GL_RENDER = Mesa DRI
GL_VERSION = 1.4 mesa
GL_VENDOR = tungsten graphics,

If it's I suspect 'Software Rasterizer" for GL_RENDER, not good. I don't
know from (googling) if a Mesa driver was fixed for that old chipset.

In that case ditch Ubuntu, and go for Xubuntu instead.

I also have the option to use a different laptop:

Intel Celeron C900 @ 2.20 GHz
Integrated Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset Family
32 bit OS, x64 based processor
3 GB RAM

Or use that.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:

For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Any SSD will tend to make a system feel far more responsive IME. There
are performance differences between them, but they are not as great as
the jump you get from HDD to SSD.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

Any other brand worth looking at?

I have used lots of Hyper X Savage drives - been very impressed with the
performance, and had not had a single failure yet (out of 30 odd drives).

(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Thank you in advance.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 09:54, Bod wrote:
On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop with a
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several laptops to
SSDs and *everything* is much snappier.

Yup same here... In fact I find the improvement in responsiveness and
application start times is more impressive than the reduced boot time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Paste wrote:
(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Dunno. Bought a new laptop and changed to an SSD. Which totally
transformed the start up time.

Decided to do the same with an older smaller and more basic one I use for
car stuff, and it made little or no difference.

Sometimes its like fixing a congestion point on a road - that traffic
jam just moves to the next slowest junction. Old machines may be disk
limited, but you may find the CPU is not far behind - so you clear the
first problem, and then find that its still slow but now for a different
reason (i.e. not have the CPU grunt).

--
Cheers,

John.

O/T: Ubuntu questions. David Paste[_2_] UK diy 76 December 7th 15 10:05 PM
OT Linux/ubuntu Jim K[_3_] UK diy 6 June 17th 13 09:47 PM
OT. Ubuntu best Linux for beginner Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 31 June 22nd 10 01:21 AM
Ubuntu to CentOs The Real Andy Electronic Schematics 1 March 26th 09 12:10 PM
Ubuntu Live CD Offbreed Metalworking 50 February 20th 06 02:58 PM