Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:

For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Any SSD will tend to make a system feel far more responsive IME. There
are performance differences between them, but they are not as great as
the jump you get from HDD to SSD.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

Any other brand worth looking at?

I have used lots of Hyper X Savage drives - been very impressed with the
performance, and had not had a single failure yet (out of 30 odd drives).

(It'll be replacing a 5200 rpm drive in a new-to-me laptop running
Ubuntu for the shed, currently is is a bit creaky, am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the user
interface?)

Thank you in advance.

--
Cheers,