Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m[_2_] T i m[_2_] is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:13:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This is where the fun (not) generally starts for me, trying to get the
stuff that doesn't work automagically, working without breaking
everything else.

Read that link I posted. It says how to get the touchpad/screen working
etc etc.

I did and I'm afraid it doesn't seem to mention how to fix the touchpad
(very slow) speed outside opening the touchpad control panel setting that
I don't have?

snip

So I'm running Mint on said Toughbook now and other than applying all
the updates and installing Pan, I've done nothing else as yet (video,
WiFi, hotkeys etc all working OOTB).

Pan seems pretty sluggish but Linux feels reasonable in general (FF
launches in about 8 seconds).

That's disk delay. SSD should help that.

Whilst I'm sure it could, I feel this is more than just a speed issue as
*everything* re Pan is *very* slow but not so with anything else (like FF
or OO Writer etc). I double clicked on the Pan icon I'd put on the
desktop and 1) there was no launch notification and 2) because of that
over the next 2 minutes several instances of Pan opened up, and finally
your post.

Almost tempted me to buy a toughpad. Looks a machine not to throw away.

I was given this (ToughBOOK?) after helping a mate upgrade it to a
CF-31. ;-)

I thought it would be 64 bit tho. That really helps graphics speeds.

I'm sure the latter machines are 64 bit.

I thought it would be idea as a workstop manual / car diagnostic tool as
it's reasonably rugged / water-resistant and adequate for the little time
I might be using it.

I've just applied the restart-fix (from your link) and I'll test it now
(I have to power off when trying to restart).

Cheers, T i m