Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 15/10/16 14:33, GB wrote:
On 15/10/2016 14:20, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:33:48 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

I think that might I have here with a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. ;-(

It's running the XP it was 'Designed for' reasonably well and W7
similarly well (on a mobile CPU running at 1.6Ghz with a max of 1.5Gb
of RAM that is) but I can't seem to get any distro (I've tried so far)
to even boot (from a LiveDVD)?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-cf-31.754580/

I have no idea whether that's at all helpful?

Linux mint 17 or 18 MATE would be a good place to start

Since around 14, they always seem to boot the live DVD at least.

And MATE is very XP-like.

This is interesting.

https://www.bobjohnson.com/blog/givi...fe-with-linux/

Now I have never heard of elementary OS linux, but the good new seems to
be that at least Ubuntu and children will install and work.
I'd definitely try a live MINT 17 or 18 DVD to see how it performs.

The only real issues I have noticed with machines of that age is choppy
FLASH videos.

Sometimes there is a better set of video drivers that help, but the real
answer is to install better video cards.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly