Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:33:48 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

snip

There are some laptops with junk chipsets that are only good for running
certain versions of windows, as that's all the effort the manufacturers
have done.

I think that might I have here with a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. ;-(

It's running the XP it was 'Designed for' reasonably well and W7
similarly well (on a mobile CPU running at 1.6Ghz with a max of 1.5Gb
of RAM that is) but I can't seem to get any distro (I've tried so far)
to even boot (from a LiveDVD)?

I watched a Youtube vid where someone had 'Elementry' Linux running
but I notice that is only available in 64 bit now.

I could try Puppy but I was hoping for a 'real' Linux just in case
there was a generic OBD utility I could use it for (I have Forscan,
VAG-Com and Op-Com on Windows).

Or just use Linux as a fast(er?) booting browser solution?

I could also treat it to an SSD (along with the new battery and car
PSU / charger) but I think that may be a step too far.

You would think that if these Toughbooks would be more Linux
compatible, or Linux more Toughbook compatible, considering they were
designed to be 'tools'?

Cheers, T i m