Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On 15/10/16 01:23, David Paste wrote:
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going
to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages
containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of numbers which
frankly I didn't fully understand.

Simple answers would be most appreciated.

I would not touch Samsung EVO with a bargepole.

There, simple

Why:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8997/s...s-in-the-works

OK - that was the 840, but they took so long to address the problem, I
would not trust them.

Also, I don't yet trust Triple Level Cells which is what Samsung are
pushing.

Any other brand worth looking at?

Yes:

PLEXTOR PX-512M6 (mSATA format) have been solid in my daily use laptop
for 3 years now.

SanDisk SDSSDXP1 (SATA) has been solid in my home router for 2-3 years.

Essentially, Sandisk or Plextor.
You won't find massive capacities yet, because they are sticking to MLC
(2 level cells) which are reliable tech.