Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Square holes...

On 2016-10-11, Jon Elson wrote:
dpb wrote:

Have application just begs for carriage bolt...have never seen punch to
create them--presume must exist? Something like a Greenlee but one
piece is 1-1/2 hollow square w/ 1/8" wall so couldn't get in even if
could deal with the thickness.

More than I care to file out by hand...easy alternatives, anybody??? I
suppose could just go on and use a truss head and hold the back side but
it's a stretch to reach all of 'em while trying to tighten...

You can definitely get square punches, I'd guess Greenlee makes them, too.
They'd need to be keyed so the punch aligns with the die.

Yes -- I didn't mention them in my previous followup given the
thickness of the metal he is punching. They work fine on say 16 ga
steel, or aluminum chassis, but I don't think that they could survive a
1/8" thick chunk of even mild steel. And yes, they have a key -- one
side of the draw screw is flat (orienting the punch) and one side of the
head of the draw screw is milled flat to rest against a raised ridge on
the die. They work fine for thinner metals.

I have a big old foot-powered punch press and a selection of punches and
dies.

That might also have problems for his 1-1/2" square tube.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail