Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_8_] John G[_8_] is offline

Default Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom

We do have an exhaust fan but it needs replaced so don't want to let it run
when we aren't home (needs replaced and cleaned out, big build up of dust up
there and just haven't had time yet) and no window in the bathroom, the
bathroom is actually split up, one side has the sink and vanity then there is
a wall and door to the side that had the tub and toilet in, this is the
section that has the smell. We haven't tried sniffing around to try and find
the culprit yet but we will do that next. We have cats and dogs so used to
having some smelly smells sometimes but this isn't an organic or living smell,
it's definitely chemical or something.

To answer some of the other questions about the toilet, we did replace the wax
ring but we even caulked around the toilet (idk why, we just did so no hate
please lol) so if the seal or ring broke I don't think we would be getting any
smells up from there. We just got back from the store and got some heavy duty
bathroom cleaning supplies with bleach so we will smell the grout while it's
still dry and then use the cleaning supplies and smell it tomorrow to see if
that makes it go away.

Make sure all of your traps have water in them. Pour water down the sink and the shower drain. That should stop any odors coming from the pipes.