Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

maybe tthe toilet flange is leaking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2016 12:39 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-4, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

maybe tthe toilet flange is leaking?

That would be my guess too. Most any chemical residue would be
diminished, if not gone my now. I remodeled two bathrooms and no odor
lasted more than a half hour. Tile does not smell, waste pipes do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jym,

If this work was done by a pro then call him back for advice.
Other than that I've no advice. Grout smells for about a day. If you've
got any leftover flooring then smell it, I guess.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bob haller, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
Would that have a chemical smell? It doesn't smell like waste or sewage at all.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In roups.com,
Jymmeh1993 m typed:
replying to bob haller, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
Would that have a chemical smell? It doesn't smell like waste or
sewage at all.

Do you have any pets? -- such as a cat or cats?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/8/2016 11:14 AM, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong
chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells
like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into
hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to
note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Wish this chemist could help but can't.
I googled it up and got a lot of hits like this:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8516606_tile-grout-smell.html

Odors like those in new carpet dissipate with time. New chemical is not
created and what was smelling has to diminish.

I might first try washing with something that contains bleach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to David L. Martel, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We did the work ourselves so no one to call really unless I call someone to
come investigate it for me.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to TomR, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We have cats and dogs but they don't have access to this bsthroom.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jymmeh1993" m wrote in
message roups.com...
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles,
new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong
chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like
the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept
shut,

To me, grout has an earthy odor. Is that the sort of odor you have? If so,
mold also has an earthy odor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:14:01 +0000, Jymmeh1993
m wrote:

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Did you use any " plastic " plumbing pipe ?
.... perhaps used the wrong " glue " with it ?
... just a wild guess.
Can you use your nose to locate the likely source ?
ie : floor ; tub ; under sink ;
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jymmeh1993 m writes:

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
tiles, new floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very
very strong chemical smell in the bathroom that simply will not go
away. It almost smells like the fresh grout but 10 times worse and
just builds up if the door is kept shut, but completely dissipates if
door is left open (smell does not go into hallway or rest of house
when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we are on
city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We
now dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and
it's hard to breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Sorry, but your story sounds like a bit of hysteria.
Please don't take insult.

Some other poster provided a URL about grout smells.
The article describes odors grout might acquire over time,
_not_ the smell of new grout.
New grout doesn't have much of a smell.

The part you describe above about the smell being really bad
in a confined space but not traveling into the hallway, is
just not the way smells work. If the smell is bad in the bathroom,
the smell will be in the hallway.

Maybe you should ask a friend or 2 if they smell anything.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:24:33 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Jym,

If this work was done by a pro then call him back for advice.
Other than that I've no advice. Grout smells for about a day. If you've
got any leftover flooring then smell it, I guess.

Dave M.

Do you guys know you're not replying to anyone? This is another repost
from Homos Hub. The original post is probably from the 19th or 20th
century. By now, the OP is in prison after the police discovered the
remains of his murdered family inside his bathroom's walls. He was
charged and found guilty of the murders, and sent to prison.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

Default JYMMEH SAYS THERE'S A "Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom"

On 10/8/2016 8:14 AM, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong
chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells
like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into
hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to
note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Eat more veggies!
LOL

In the meanwhile, wood it be okay if Miss Recktum used yer outdoor splat
toilet as a swimming pool?
LOLOLOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

After two months all smells associated with the renovation should have dissipated. Pulling the toilet and installing a new wax ring is one possibility, but you said it is a strong chemical smell like grout. Maybe one of the products that you used for the remodel is having a bad reaction with another product.

Did any garbage get left inside of the walls?

Is the vent pipe for the bathroom plumbing clear of any obstructions?

Do you have critter problems? Somethings they get into places they cannot get out of and die. That smell lingers for a long time.

Try contacting the grout manufacturer.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

Default JYMMEH SAYS THERE'S A "Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom" aka: KKKoloon's rented outhouse

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 05:15:58 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

[...]

You can't use YERS as a swimming pool any more, KKKoloon...you're
RENTED it, remember! LOLOK

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Did you install a new vanity and or counter top? What are they made
of? If the counter / sink is a synthetic, that could be the culprit.
If the vanity cabinet is a pressed wood product, it could have been
manufactured with inappropriate glue such as one might find in product
not made in the USA.

Also, did you install a new wax ring with the new toilet?
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,alt.slack

wrote:

[...]

And "you're" an asshole.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dan Espen, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
All 3 of us in the house notice the smell, then a family friend came for a
visit and she said she did too. And I know, it's really weird cause I know
smell should permeate into the hallway when the doors are left open but it
just goes away or perhaps with all the fresh air it gets really diluted? I
just know we really want it to be figured out lol

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jymmeh1993 m writes:

replying to Dan Espen, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
All 3 of us in the house notice the smell, then a family friend came for a
visit and she said she did too. And I know, it's really weird cause I know
smell should permeate into the hallway when the doors are left open but it
just goes away or perhaps with all the fresh air it gets really diluted? I
just know we really want it to be figured out lol

Thanks for not taking insult.

I still can't think of any explanation for a smell going from
unbearable to zero in a few feet.

Have you tried getting really close to the grout and other
things in the room and sniffing?

Perhaps break off a piece of grout and take it out of the room
and see if the smell follows.

Is there an exhaust fan in the room? If so, run it until the
smell stops. Otherwise leave the window partially open.

All smells eventually dissipate. One of the worst is cat pee.
I had a sick cat and it took a long time for the smell to
go but it eventually did.

Google searches for new grout smells, turn up one thread
about a rotten egg smell.
That's hydrogen sulfide. Is that the smell you have?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dan Espen, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We do have an exhaust fan but it needs replaced so don't want to let it run
when we aren't home (needs replaced and cleaned out, big build up of dust up
there and just haven't had time yet) and no window in the bathroom, the
bathroom is actually split up, one side has the sink and vanity then there is
a wall and door to the side that had the tub and toilet in, this is the
section that has the smell. We haven't tried sniffing around to try and find
the culprit yet but we will do that next. We have cats and dogs so used to
having some smelly smells sometimes but this isn't an organic or living smell,
it's definitely chemical or something.

To answer some of the other questions about the toilet, we did replace the wax
ring but we even caulked around the toilet (idk why, we just did so no hate
please lol) so if the seal or ring broke I don't think we would be getting any
smells up from there. We just got back from the store and got some heavy duty
bathroom cleaning supplies with bleach so we will smell the grout while it's
still dry and then use the cleaning supplies and smell it tomorrow to see if
that makes it go away.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 21:14:02 +0000, Jymmeh1993
m wrote:

[...]

Did you also paint? And, again, what about the counter and vanity?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

I used some old paint once to paint a room. It stunk for a couple
months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin' Norman, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We didn't paint anything at all, and the vanity is the original, only replaced
the sink in the vanity but it's separated from the shower/tub and toilet, and
the smell is on that side not the "powder room" side (when the door between
the two sections is shut that is)

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 10:14:04 AM UTC-5, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...m-1111217-.htm

I'm wondering if you have mold/mildew in the wall or floor. Every have any leaks or missing caulk around the fixtures where water cold penetrate? Mildew can have kind of pungent chemical odor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 04:14:01 +0000, Jymmeh1993
m wrote:

replying to Stormin' Norman, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We didn't paint anything at all, and the vanity is the original, only replaced
the sink in the vanity but it's separated from the shower/tub and toilet, and
the smell is on that side not the "powder room" side (when the door between
the two sections is shut that is)

OK, the last thing I can think of that would produce a chemical, not
septic smell would be a synthetic toilet seat. Did the new toilet
come with a polymer seat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Stormin' Norman, Jymmeh1993 wrote:
We didn't paint anything at all, and the vanity is the original, only replaced
the sink in the vanity but it's separated from the shower/tub and toilet, and
the smell is on that side not the "powder room" side (when the door between
the two sections is shut that is)

OK, the last thing I can think of that would produce a chemical, not
septic smell would be a synthetic toilet seat. Did the new toilet
come with a polymer seat?

....or a padded plastic seat. (Good call, BTW)

Here's s a link to a thread related to padded toilet seat odors.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/how-ge...strong-116845/
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Make sure all of your traps have water in them. Pour water down the sink and the shower drain. That should stop any odors coming from the pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it a sulfur smell?

We had a case where a strong odor was present when we ran water in one bathroom, but nowhere else in the house. It turned out there was a colony of bacteria in the drain. When the water ran it pushed hydrogen sulfide odor out. A cup of bleach down the drain cured it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan you are wrong. I had 2 bathrooms remodeled about 5 yrs ago. 1 bathroom is perfect no problems. The other bathroom has the EXACT same issues described
A very strong chemical odor which does resemble the smell of the grout. Its as if it never dried AND funny thing is, the grout which is black DOES occasionally run. And I have black grout stains to prove it. The other bathroom has brown grout. I'm just as baffled so please keep me informed.
Connie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the exact same issue with a bathroom I had renovated about 5 years ago and it still smells of a very strong chemical smell which I do believe is coming from the grout black grout which still occasionally runs I have black stains in my shower from this grout that still bleeds the color it's almost as if the grout should have been sealed I don't know but it's baffling. And did smell does get very strong in the room in the bathroom when I keep the door closed when I open the door it does help and the smell doesn't seem two be noticeable in the Next Room. Connie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:13:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I wish you found the culprit. I'm going through this now. Newly renovated bathroom and I can't even use it because the odor is so bad. for me, I have a double sink vanity. The smell is 100% coming from the left side cabinet/sink but after deep cleaning, the smell just got stronger. It's as if the smell gets worse whenever I run water in that sink. And yes, it only smells in there, it doesn't travel to the hall.

Since it smells worse when you run water, perhaps there is mold in the drain pipe. Pour mildewcide or bleach in the drain, and in the overflow hole. Another possibility is perhaps the vanity was made with bad particle board, in which case a coat of KILZ should seal in the odor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

DID YOU HAPPEN TO PUT IN A NEW ACRYLIC BATHTUB??....I JUST PURCHASED ONE AND IT STINKS!!...HONESTLY IT SMELLS REALLY BAD...LEAVES A TASTE AND A FILM IN YOUR MOUTH...I'M AFRAID TO INSTALL IT IN CASE THE SMELL DOESN'T GO AWAY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jmy,
I am having the same issue. Just remolded my bathroom and I have a chemical smell as well.
I did some investigation and spoke with Home Depot about the smell. What I found so far by me smelling in the
Bathroom and the web is the Adhesive pads / glue on the vanity top. The marble top is glued to the wood and the smell seems to be coming from there. Also HD explained to me that this happens in some cases. He explained that this is a bad batch of glue that was used. The ink beat to know it is bad is waiting a few days after it drys. Of course manufacturers dont wait. Since this is uncommon. I plan to either exchange the vanity or remove the glue myself and re glue the marble top on the base. If I was you I would start to smell everywhere u can and try to pinpoint the smell as best as you can. Try to remove some things as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Guys, same problem over here in Brooklyn. I spent a week assuming my faucet was to blame for a heavy toxic chemical smell that occurred every time I turned on the water hot or cold... after eliminating the pipes the faucet (just replaced with a new one) the supply lines, and the drain, I discovered that it was the cheap piece of **** sink itself!

When water drains through the sink air comes back up through the alternate drain hole on the side... Whatever chemical **** they used in China to seal, paint, or manufacture this cheap fake sink smells terrible. For now I put a piece of tape over the hole and the smell is gone.

Hope this helps! Im also looking for tips for a more permanent solution that wouldnt involve asking my landlord to buy aither new sink.

Chemical Smell From Oven Jo UK diy 17 May 18th 20 09:10 PM
chemical smell in home and freezer not as cold as before lora Home Repair 14 October 21st 09 02:45 AM
Strong Chlorine smell in spa Mojo Jojo Home Repair 14 January 7th 08 06:12 PM
Chemical smell in well water Rand Reed Home Repair 44 January 5th 07 04:03 PM
Strong Smell Of Gas from Flue eevoob UK diy 9 May 15th 05 01:12 PM