Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_8_] John G[_8_] is offline

Default Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new tiles, new
floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very very strong chemical
smell in the bathroom that simply will not go away. It almost smells like the
fresh grout but 10 times worse and just builds up if the door is kept shut,
but completely dissipates if door is left open (smell does not go into hallway
or rest of house when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we
are on city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We now
dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and it's hard to
breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

After two months all smells associated with the renovation should have dissipated. Pulling the toilet and installing a new wax ring is one possibility, but you said it is a strong chemical smell like grout. Maybe one of the products that you used for the remodel is having a bad reaction with another product.

Did any garbage get left inside of the walls?

Is the vent pipe for the bathroom plumbing clear of any obstructions?

Do you have critter problems? Somethings they get into places they cannot get out of and die. That smell lingers for a long time.

Try contacting the grout manufacturer.