Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Strong unbearable chemical smell in bathroom

Jymmeh1993 m writes:

About 1-2 months ago now we remodeled out bathroom. New grout, new
tiles, new floor, new toilet. Since then, there has been a very very
very strong chemical smell in the bathroom that simply will not go
away. It almost smells like the fresh grout but 10 times worse and
just builds up if the door is kept shut, but completely dissipates if
door is left open (smell does not go into hallway or rest of house
when door is open, just goes away). I would like to note we are on
city water but not city sewage, we have a septic tank. If anyone has
any ideas on what it could be or how to get rid of it, please help. We
now dread having to use of brand new bathroom due to the smell and
it's hard to breathe the smell. Thanks in advance

Sorry, but your story sounds like a bit of hysteria.
Please don't take insult.

Some other poster provided a URL about grout smells.
The article describes odors grout might acquire over time,
_not_ the smell of new grout.
New grout doesn't have much of a smell.

The part you describe above about the smell being really bad
in a confined space but not traveling into the hallway, is
just not the way smells work. If the smell is bad in the bathroom,
the smell will be in the hallway.

Maybe you should ask a friend or 2 if they smell anything.

--
Dan Espen