Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

Default Cable Modem Help

On 10/05/2016 02:45 PM, krw wrote:

[snip]

About like the Direct TV droids who accost me in stores. I tell them,
loudly, that their service sucks so bad that even as bad as AT&T has
been, it's worlds better than DTV. ...and I get Netflix now.

I used to have DTV. One of the main reasons I quit was the very poor
customer service. One of the last times I contacted them was to say the
problem was fixed (finally, and probably not because I contacted them).
They responded to that by messing up my online account AGAIN. Once when
I called about the new HD DVR, the "customer service representative"
asked my how many mushrooms are on my dish.

As to cable modems, I agree that the modem should be separate from a
router/Wifi device. One reason is that the modem really belongs to the
ISP (even if you bought it) and the router is a part of YOUR network and
you should have control over it. I wouldn't expect to be able to put
DD-WRT on one of those combinations.

--
80 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The cosmos is interesting rather than perfect, and everything is not
part of some greater plan, nor is all necessarily under control."
[Starhawk]