Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Cable Modem Help

On 10/05/2016 08:56 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

After serious thinking Andy wrote :
Exactly why i OWN my own modem.
The day i got the notice in the mail about 2 or 3 years ago in Maine.
I went out and bought my own Motorola modem off the approved list got
the best one that DID NOT have wireless i don't use it .
and love the savings and the speeds as they allow channel bonding in
my area any ways so i get double the normal download speeds most of
the time.
Same here, except I got a WiFi "SurfBoard" model.

While I was at it, I had mentioned that a cable modem wasn't really a
modem after he asked me if I needed a modem. I had already given him
that "approved" list provided by Time Warner Cable for compatibility
with their system. They, of course, call them all cable modems.

He argued with me! Right or wrong, salesmen shouldn't argue with
customers. Cable modems have more in common with TV transceivers than
they do with modems. I asked him if a smartphone was a modem, and he
said no.

You run WiFi right off your cable modem? With no separate firewall? I
expect your other hobbies are bungee jumping, motorcycle racing, and
free-climbing, right?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--