Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default Cable Modem Help

Same here, except I got a WiFi "SurfBoard" model.

While I was at it, I had mentioned that a cable modem wasn't really a
modem after he asked me if I needed a modem. I had already given him
that "approved" list provided by Time Warner Cable for compatibility
with their system. They, of course, call them all cable modems.

He argued with me! Right or wrong, salesmen shouldn't argue with
customers. Cable modems have more in common with TV transceivers than
they do with modems. I asked him if a smartphone was a modem, and he
said no.

After serious thinking Andy wrote :
Exactly why i OWN my own modem.
The day i got the notice in the mail about 2 or 3 years ago in Maine.
I went out and bought my own Motorola modem off the approved list got the
best one that DID NOT have wireless i don't use it .
and love the savings and the speeds as they allow channel bonding in my area
any ways so i get double the normal download speeds most of the time.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Robert Baer" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
Why would you want to pay spectrum up wards of $ 10.00 a month to rent a
cable modem from them?
In less then a years rental time and cost you could by a good modem and or
modem wireless router combination for the same or less money.
I have stopped paying them a model rental fee the day it came out.
I my self use a Motorola cable modem and love it and spectrum fully
supports
it .
Because it is one of the models on its approved modems list so they cant
refuse to support it

YESMotorola makes almost all of the modems sold to Comcast (and prolly
Spectrum as well).
Model brand names vary,but they is the same beast, so if what you buy on
the net is the same exact brand and model that they use,then they HAVE TO
have it on their approved list; they cannot dis their own stuff.
$100 for your own modem and no $10/mo gives a 10 month ROI; no brainer.