Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
Robert Baer[_3_] Robert Baer[_3_] is offline

Default Cable Modem Help

OGI wrote:
Looking at getting Spectrum cable but having spec difficulty.

They will provide a router only, router with wifi or router with wifi
and phone but cannot give me specs.

What's my problem ?
I currently have AT&T WiFi Router that does not have much power out and
seems to drop WiFI or internet or ??? often. My security cams turn off
and the app shuts down. Bad app too !

If I use WiFi Analytics WiFi app on my laptop it shows the AT&T WiFI at
"Max Rate" 150 where another LAN WIFi router at the other end of the
house shows as "Max Rate" 300. I cannot watch movies from the back room
PC where the AT&T WiFi is to the living room PC using their wifi since
it stops and stutters. Using a cable down the hall works perfectly.

Several questions.
What feature should I be looking for in a WiFi router:
Speed 300 vs 150 "Max Rate"
Power output
Dual freq 2.9 vs 5 GHz
AC protocol or whatever it is called

Spectrum says it installs an Arris TG1672G but it does not specify
output power in the specs I found. Anyone have a better spec source ?
I am not even sure that is the WiFi modem router that I will get as it
seems they grab whatever is handy to bring out to install.

So I hate to think I would have to set up my own WiFi Router.

Last question -
If I get internet only and want phone service, what are my choices ?
And would that service be able to take my current land line phone number
and use it ? I would totally drop AT&T if so.
Does that service have caller ID - mandatory feature for me to have.

Also is there a preferred Channel ? 1 or 6 or 11 or ???

I have an "Xfinity" Technicolor TC8305C.
That seems to be the brand name for those made by Motorola (if i
remember correctly) and sold to Comcast.
Arris is another brand name.
As far as i can tell,about 90 percent of production goes directly to
Comcast.

One model/style has no Wifi, and the other has it; otherwise they all
seem to be the same beast. Rental rate is the same; sales price cannot
say; i got the WiFi version for about $100, saving me $20 year one.

There is no "preferred" channel; let the modem do the assignment
automatically (for best signal).

There are re-sellers where you can buy exactly what your cable
provider offers. I suggest you do not rock that boat for a few months
and look at the bill CAREFULLY to find the exact monthly rental charge.
If in the region of $10/month or more,then buy the exact same model
for around $100. Pays for itself in 10 months..
Those resellers may have specs or know where you can get them.

The installation instructions CANNOT work (read them and you will see
what i mean).
You will have to call your cable provider and get them to add its MAC
address into their database and activate it; else it CANNOT WORK.
Once you are satisfied, if at all possible, PHYSICALLY return their
modem to one of their sales centers AND GET A RECEIPT (!!!_VERY_!!!
important). If not, see if you can wangle a shipping label from them (as
a courtesy because you are UPGRADING the service).
Without that receipt, they can continue to charge monthly rental fees.

Get your phone service from the same cable internet provider; the
phone service alone will be less than landline.
In fact, that is why i switched from copper (POTS) to cable,as the
loco phone *******s were raising the rate every other month; i wound up
saving money.

Allowed me to switch from modem (144K in reality, NOT the advertised
or bally-hooed fake rate) to cable at a respectable speed.
Plus...i now have unlimited long distance at NO extra cost.

Mind you,i did not have TV and still do not have it.
Adding TV service on the cable is expensive as far as i am concerned.
So,,if you HAD TV from your cable provider, adding internet and phone
will not be that much more(*).
If you are close enough to the transmitting stations (ASSuming no
reflections to bugger signal), you can put up our own antenna and get
them free (like the GOOD OLD DAYS of analog).

(*): IGNORE ALL ADS that quote some bull**** price; actual cost is
always about TWICE whatever the ad says.