Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which is cheaper?

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Who knows, but repairs to this sort of glass have variable results, but
then so does the leak proofing of the new windscreen too.

Very true. Some years back, the heated rear screen in my old Rover
shattered. I'd guess due to a problem with the heating element as it was
on at the time.

Had free glass replacement in those days, but my insurance company
insisted I used Autoglass. Who were hopeless from the start. First
obtaining a glass from a totally different model. Then saying they
couldn't get the correct one - when their central warehouse had it in
stock.

Eventually, they did get the correct one. Then fitted it 'dry' using the
old seal. Despite me giving them a copy of the BL manual telling them
which sealers to use. And it leaked like a sieve.
They then said it needed a new seal - but that wasn't covered by
insurance. But would fit it if I got one. Which I did. They then again
fitted it dry, and it leaked once more. Eventually paid a local firm to
remove it and replace properly.

The fitter took great delight in showing me the invoice to the insurance
company for the new screen. Some 500 quid. Rimmer Bros had new ones for
150 then.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.