Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to create an EMERGENCY folder on a mobile device (and what to put inside)

"Horace Algier" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 00:06:10 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphones-medical-id-could-save-your-life-2015-12

...but

it seems to no longer work that way in iOS 10.0.2.

Since iOS people buy the things primarily to *feel* safe,

Just another bare faced lie/pathetic excuse for a troll...

it's not surprising that some people tout this rather minor and
privacy invasive e lock-screen ICE note as a "safety" feature.

Corse it’s a safety feature when you are no longer capable
of telling the paramedics or hospital who you are etc.

I don't have an iPhone (I have iPads), so, if the Medical ID
is *designed* to *require* a log in to an Internet site,

It doesn’t. Its just a lock that prevents anyone who comes across
the phone from using it, no logon to any internet site involved.

it's doubly bad (from a privacy standpoint).

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Even in iOS8 on an iPhone, others have made persuasive arguments
*not* to use this Medical ID "feature", as outlined in this article:
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/iphone-medical-id/
How, Why, and Why Not to Use the iPhone Medical ID

For other reasons, just privacy, because some fools
are mindlessly paranoid about their 'privacy' and
take stupid unnecessary risks to 'protect' it.

Since you said something changed in iOS 10
with respect to this ICE feature, I found this:
How to Access Medical ID from Lock Screen in iOS 10 on iPhone/iPad
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-ac...een-in-ios-10/

It doesn't say anything about iOS 10.0.2, per se, and a quick search
didn't find anything related to the Medical ID in 10.0.2 specifically,
so I'm not sure what you're alluding to when you say it no longer
works that way in 10.0.2 other than what the article says above.

I haven't checked it myself. I do run 10.0.2 but haven't
setup the medical id because I don’t have any medical
conditions for which it would be useful and because if
I am ever found unconscious or completely out of it
so badly that I can't identify myself, it will be completely
trivial to work out who I am.

In short though, Medical ID is exactly what I'd expect from Apple
users who merely want to *feel* safe, without actually *being* safe.

Even sillier than you usually manage/even more of
a pathetic excuse for a troll than you usually manage.