Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to create an EMERGENCY folder on a mobile device (and what to put inside)

"Horace Algier" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:45:35 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

I think there is something to be said for an app that either works out
when
you have got up and if you haven't, eventually asks if you are alright
and
if you donąt respond, calls the numbers you specify. That would be useful
for those who live alone and would hopefully catch most of the situations
where you say fall and can't get up and donąt have your phone with you
at the time and so can't call for assistance yourself etc.

I was thinking about that old American commercial, a few decades ago,
where
an old lady falls down the stairs and says "I've fallen and I can't get
up".

It was perfectly tuned MARKETING fear mongering, and FUD worked as well
then as it does now.

Still, for those who *need* it, I can't possibly disagree with you, that
it
will make them *feel* safe to have the app constantly nag them to ask if
they're OK.

I could even use it, I guess, when I go pot farmer hunting ...

Pssst.... it won't help me because *feeling* safe and *being* safe are two
totally different things ... but they might be able to locate the body for
a decent burial.

It would help plenty who live alone who have a bad fall and
can't get up. There are a few of those on the reality TV series
and some found dead who didn’t manage to get any help too.

And it happened to a mate of mine too who was so obscenely
obese that he managed to fall down behind the bed and it took
a crew of at least 6 emergency personnel to get him up again.
In his case his wife could call them, but if he had been living
alone, it would have avoided him ending up dead.