Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 09/29/2016 08:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

When plugging a "permanent" item (lamp, clock radio, toaster oven, etc.)
into a duplex receptacle, please use the bottom receptacle to keep the
top receptacle open for temporary use.

That's something I do. Sometimes, I've even changed it in public places.

Unlike a lot of people, my idea of "looks best" depends on practical
things, not silly rules. If you plug something into the top outlet (of a
vertically mounted) duplex receptacle, the cord hangs down across the
bottom outlet making it harder to use.

I'm not sure if I EVER thought it looked best to use the top.

--
87 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

On the sixth day God created man On the seventh day, man returned the
favor.