Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Horace Algier Horace Algier is offline

Default How to create an EMERGENCY folder on a mobile device (and what to put inside)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 06:00:48 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

The iOS contacts system does allow an emergency category in the contacts.

It also allows you to list those you want to be called if say you are found
unconscious or incapable and that is visible on the lock screen of your
idevice so anyone can get those details from there as long as your
phone is still working.

I generally tackle all problems on both iOS and Android, particularly for
emergencies, because you'll never know what you will have in your hands at
the time of an emergency.

On iOS 9.x, when I open contacts and search for "ice" or for "emergency", I
get nothing (not surprisingly, because I never set up anything).

Looking about in iOS contacts, I don't see any overt mention of an
"emergency" system.

Googling, I find this article:
3 Features You Should Enable in iOS 8

In that article, they talk about a "Health" app that Apple supplied in iOS
8, which doesn't seem to be on my device in iOS9 (I skipped iOS 8
altogether since I update the device as little as possible since all hell
broke loose outside the walled garden the penultimate time I updated).

Hmmmm... no "Health" app on this iPad. I only have one desktop screen, and
there's no health app on it, nor in Settings General on the left column.

So, scratch that method (maybe it works only on phones?).

Moving on to another reference, I find this:
https://snapguide.com/guides/add-ice...ts-for-iphone/
How to Add ICE (In Case of Emergency) Contacts for iPhone

1. Contacts + First = ICE 1 - Wife
2. Copy that to "Last" name also (if contacts are reverse sorted).
3. Company = Patty Winter, wife
4. Scroll down to "add field"
5. The article says scroll to the bottom of the popup to add "notes"
but I don't see any notes. I just see:
- Prefix
- Phonetic first name
- Pronunciation first name
- Middle name
- Phonetic middle name
- Phonetic last name
- Pronunciation last name
- Maiden name
- Suffix
- Nickname
- Job title
- Department
6. So I put the phone number in the Company field instead (since there were
no notes fields).
7. Press "Done".

Hmmm... I guess adding ICE is better than doing absolutely nothing, but
it's not much better than doing absolutely nothing.

Rod, can you elucidate a little bit on what you were alluding to when you
mentioned there was some kind of emergency mechanism on iOS?

Thanks!
NOTE: iPad, with SIM data, iOS 9.3.2 (and staying on that until/unless
there is a compelling reason to risk another release)