Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:09:33 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

There was some sort of car radio from wayyyyy back, that had the
amplifier portion of the radio separate from the tuner. This was a
tube set, and probably from the 50s or early 60s.

I never saw a two part radio like that, but I did pull out a few tube
tuners. Big heavy boat anchors.

Back then the "standard" radio opening had a hole on each side for the
volume and tuner knobs and a smaller rectangular opening for the radio
dial. Installing a modern stereo in those cars meant cutting sheet metal.

Today I think you can buy "retro" radios that will fit the old openings
without cutting metal. New electronics in the old format.

Honestly, I haven't kept up with current car stereo's. The last stereo I
bought was over 15 years ago.

Anthony Watson

The last car stereo I bought was probably more like 40 years ago. In
fact back in the mid 70's I briefly worked for CB radio store and
installed them in cars, but several times I had to install car stereos
too. But they were like you describe, "a hole on each side for the
volume and tuner knobs and a smaller rectangular opening for the radio
dial." Besides a CB, I bought a car stereo from my boss at cost back
then.

I've learned a lot from this thread and from following up by looking at
this stuff in the stores and online. It's a whole different world when
it comes to them now.....

Thank God the old days of cutting sheet metal are gone.... Of course
dashboards are no longer made of metal anyhow.... And all that wire
splicing and soldering was a major pain back then....