Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:34:36 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I don't know about current stereos (ours are about 10-15 years old) but
ours are limited to 4GB flash drives. That's still a lot of music in a
tiny package. You could always carry multiple flash drives if that's too
limiting.

Our stereos are limited to MP3 files but I think newer ones support other
formats like WMA, AAC, and FLAC.

I keep saying I'm going to upgrade my ancient stereo to one with a USB
port. Unfortunately, every stereo on the market these days uses a knob
for the volume control. My car rides fairly rough so trying to make small
adjustments while bouncing around is kind of difficult. Worse yet, the
volume knobs usually have different functions when you push them in, so I
really mess things up when I hit a bump. My old Alpine stereo had
separate volume up and volume down buttons, much easier to use with a
stiff suspension. But, I don't really drive much anymore and generally
only listen to the radio anyway. Low priority.

Just as examples, here are some cheap car stereos with USB ports that may
work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/JVC-KDR670-CD...6/ref=sr_1_228

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-X...-Din-Receiver-
Internet/dp/B01463VCMG/ref=sr_1_236

https://www.amazon.com/kenwood-KDC122U-Receiver-Front-
USB/dp/B00PWX9TJS/ref=sr_1_252

Anthony Watson

These car stereos sure have changed since I last looked at them, years
ago. Of those Amazon links you provided, that Pioneer one looks just
like the one I was looking at, at Walmart. (or a very similar model).
Walmart price was $5 higher. It said formats were MP3 and WMA (I think
WMA is "Windows Media Player). That stereo also has a remote control.

It also mentioned Pandora, which I had no idea what that was until I
looked it up. Stuff like that wont do me any good. I have no intention
to get a smartphone, based on the cost. My prepaid Tracfone is all I
need. Initially I only got a cellphone for emergency use in my car, and
it has paid for itself many times over, particularly when I had a brake
lockup and start on fire, not to mention calling in emergencies for
other people. And lately I tend to make regular calls in it, like to
call someone and tell them I'm on my way, or call a business to see if
they have the car part I need, and so on. My flip phone also has access
to weather radar maps and other useful stuff. But I see no need to spend
a fortune to own a smart phone. If I really need internet while I'm on
the road, I take my laptop and can get WIFI at most fast food places.
For about $100 a year, I have my Tracfone, and actually have to make
some "regular calls" or I accumulate too many minutes.

Anyhow, I'd be happy just having a car stereo that plays music from
flash drives. Cds are a big pain to deal with in the car. They get into
the wrong boxes and fall off the seat and get damaged, and I'm still
limited to 10 to 20 songs until I pull over and change the CD. I could
easily see putting several hundred songs on flash drives and could make
several of them, for example, "oldies" "rock" "country", etc... (I do
hope they have exceeded the 4gb limit though. I dont see any flashdrives
smaller than 16gb even sold in the stores anymore). In fact Walmart had
16gb drives for $4 yesterday, so I bought several of them.

One thing I still dont understand is how to determine what stereos will
fit in my 1996 Plymouth Voyager. (or any car). That Pioneer is 1 DIN, I
think it's the JVC that says it's 2 DIN. I have no clue what will fit in
my car. There must be some website or other way to look up specific
cars. Because of this alone, I'd rather spend the extra $5 and buy it
from Walmart, or go to the big city and see what places like Best Buy
have. At least I can return it, and I'd likely remove my factory stereo
right in their parking lot (takes 10 minutes or less), and make sure it
will fit.

I can relate to the "stiff suspension" issue when I drive my truck, but
my car is a pretty good ride... Either way, it would take some getting
used to it, to learn how to operate it, but when I first got this car,
it took a while to learn how to use the factory radio too, since this
was the first car stereo I ever had with a CD and using that SCAN
button, setting the presets and the clock were a challenge. I'm still
used to the old radios that had a volume, tone, and a tuning knob, and 5
push buttons, and little more other than an AM-FM switch.

Thanks for all your help!