Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Think twice before you buy Duracell batteries

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 12:52:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"I was born in Germany. Parents are Polish. "

"ARE" ? Alive ? Hope you spend time with them.

Sorry. Bad choice of words. They are both dead.

There is almost like a miniseries in the new Outer Limits about a
guy who gets cold fusion to work and makes booms, and is an evil
mother****er. I think the name is "Final Exam"...

There's more here than you might suspect. While I was quite young, my
favorite diversion was reading comic books. I would routinely get
thrown out of the local drug store for reading comic books off the
rack without buying at least one. Learning to speed read was an
obvious result.

I continued my habit of reading comic books long after growing up and
reading other types of books. Over the years, I noticed a change. In
the older books, the businessman was either the hero, or the victim of
the bad guy. At worst, the super-hero was there to protect the
businessman from evil. Scientists were also there to do all kinds of
cool things with brilliant inventions.

Then, it slowly changed. The businessman suddenly became the villain.
The great scientist became the mad scientist, evil genius, or insane
lunatic. Over the years, details were added, such as the businessman
making or inheriting tons of money, which immediately turned him to
the dark side. Meanwhile, the victims became archetypical nobodies,
who have never done anything remarkable in their lives, and are easily
susceptible to the machinations of the bad guy. The characters were
often color coded by their abilities or IQ to make sure they were
properly classified by the reader.

It made me sick to read this rubbish, so I gave up on comic books in
about 1980 and sold my collection. However, I couldn't resist reading
an occasional comic book and found that they had morphed into "action"
stories, which largely mirror today's "action" movies. Is life so
boring that we have to resort to ludicrous exaggerations of reality?
When was the last time we had a real street chase scene where the
participants destroyed everything in their paths?

So, what's wrong here? The Outer Limits was in the 1950's and was
before the trend to vilify businessmen and scientists. I guess it
could be considered ahead of its time. It wasn't hugely successful in
the 1950's mostly because few people swallowed the pitch line. We
were the greatest country after winning WWII and nobody is going to
tread on our arrogant self-image. Today, The Outer Limits still has
its following, is considered a cult classic, and has people like you
offering its messages as some kind of morality lesson. Were someone
able to make cold fusion work, they would be (in my never humble
opinion) a hero, worthy of the highest acclaim, not because they made
it work, but because they ignored all the nay sayers who said it
couldn't work. They would certainly not be a bomb builder and evil
scientist in the comic book and The Outer Limits traditions.

On the other hand, some Europeans and Australians have a superiority complex.

Only if they're also Jewish.

"Be tactful, diplomatic, and courteous. In
other words, act and be like a professional. "

I do that at work,, this is Usenet.

In the last 20 years, the internet, and in some areas Usenet, have
become the new reality. It is possible to go through an entire day
without leaving the computer. Everything is done on the internet. I
just got done buying cannibalized electronic parts and pieces on eBay.
If the prediction that we will all become "knowledge workers" is for
real, the internet will be your work. Try to act accordingly or you
will find that how you make your bed, is how you will sleep in it.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558