Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Think twice before you buy Duracell batteries

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

.... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

I've bought Duracell AA alkalines that leaked withing a week or three
after installation. No leaks in the package seen, although I'm not
surprised.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:20:59 -0700 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

Don't short them, then.
How did the short happen? An experiment?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

I've bought Duracell AA alkalines that leaked withing a week or three
after installation. No leaks in the package seen, although I'm not
surprised.

IME: They're no less likely to leak than cheap brands if left in equipment
for a long time.

The real disappointment is they don't last significantly longer than the
pack of 6 Kodak Extralife from the store.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 3:59:29 PM UTC-4, JW wrote:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

Too lazy to read the link but I know for a fact that name brand batteries (Duracell and Energizer specifically) are known to be counterfeited. Not saying that has anything to do with the link but just throwing that out there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...eem-to-have-a-
bad-rap/msg1027983/#msg1027983

... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

I've bought Duracell AA alkalines that leaked withing a week or three
after installation. No leaks in the package seen, although I'm not
surprised.

Jeff-

My experience over the years is that any Alkaline cell can leak and ruin
whatever it is in.

I have switched to "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" AA and AAA cells. They
claim to have more capacity to justify higher cost. Perhaps they do,
but my main concern is leakage. So far, I have not had any leak. Do
you have an opinion?

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JW" wrote in message ...

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

A quick check shows there is no evidence whatsoever in the OP link to
suggest that these batteries are indeed Duracell in genuine packaging.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/09/2016 3:59 AM, JW wrote:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

We used to buy them all the time and they never leaked when fully
discharged but nowadays they do. Caused me lots of problems with various
bits of kit. they must have changed the construction or suppliers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"
A quick check shows there is no evidence whatsoever in the OP link to
suggest that these batteries are indeed Duracell in genuine packaging. "

Is that to say you concur that they are counterfeit ?

We have had counterfeit semiconductors, and mostly they are not just an empty package, there is a transistor in there just it is inferior to the JANX or JEDEC or whatever makes the numbers standardized.

So say you own a battery company making an inferior part what do you do to make more money ? Just change the label, right ? Well that is how business is now. It's like they might take a 2N3055 and relabel it MJ15024. So they get six bucks instead of three bucks.

Before they did that they talked with the lawyers and the accountants and figured out what the gamble was, how much would it cost the in lawsuits in the worst case scenario and what are the chances of that happening ? Believe it or not I am about to get involved in exactly that about some amplifiers that need a physical modification because the bias regulators are not held to the heat sink. You know that is going to fry out. At this time, they have been lazy and uncooperative so I will put it to them - "Just sell them, and call them refurbs and give a very short warranty, you hurt your company name but we get these things the hell outta here". Actually I want a different job, these people are too "corporate" for me.

They give lip service but that's it. They come bitching about how stuff is piled up and I say "Buy some shelves, even those elcheapo plastic ones would work from the DIY that you stick together with the tubing". It has been three weeks. No shelves.

So they get from me what I get from them. I am just going to fix the obvious problem and ship them. Then they can refund all that money. It is not my problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

"
A quick check shows there is no evidence whatsoever in the OP link to
suggest that these batteries are indeed Duracell in genuine packaging. "

Is that to say you concur that they are counterfeit ?

Look, I haven't the time or inclination to wade through your pages of
waffle,
but yes, Counterfeit is a definite probability.

As is trolling. i.e. trying to discredit something or other via a
newsgroup.

Don't buy it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id: :

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

Don't short them, then.
How did the short happen? An experiment?

The pictures were supplied by a friend. His desk is a mountain of
junk, some of it conductive. Brand new battery got tossed onto the
pile, where the exposed leads were shorted by something. Some time
later (delay unknown), there was a loud bang. It took him some time
to find the culprit, which was then photographed.

Unfortunately, he tossed the batteries before I could get my hands on
them to determine if they were real or counterfeit. I can't tell from
the photos. I bought an identical battery from a local retailer,
shorted the terminals with a #12 solid copper wire, and waited for the
explosion. Nothing but some noises from venting gasses, some smoke,
and plenty of heat. No bang. So, it might have been one cell with a
blocked vent plug, or possibly a counterfeit battery.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 17:49:44 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...eem-to-have-a-
bad-rap/msg1027983/#msg1027983

... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

I've bought Duracell AA alkalines that leaked withing a week or three
after installation. No leaks in the package seen, although I'm not
surprised.

My experience over the years is that any Alkaline cell can leak and ruin
whatever it is in.

Agreed. I have a fair collection of flashlights that were ruined by
junk batteries. However, I don't keep records and have no data on
which cells are the culprits, or how long one can expect them to last
before leaking. Mostly, I use Costco Kirkland brand, which seems
better than most, but still eventually leaks.

I have switched to "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" AA and AAA cells. They
claim to have more capacity to justify higher cost. Perhaps they do,
but my main concern is leakage. So far, I have not had any leak. Do
you have an opinion?

They're very good batteries, but also rather expensive.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?368072-Test-Review-of-Energizer-Ultimate-Lithium-AA
In AA, these are $2/ea versus about $0.40/ea for Kirkland AA alkaline.

Where possible, I prefer to sustitute rechargeable NiCd or NiMH
batteries for alkaline, or purchase something that runs on LiIon. So
far, the Eneloop NiMH cells, which have a very low self discharge
rate, seem the best compromise between performance, life, self
discharge, and cost at about $2/ea.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/09/16 03:59, JW wrote:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

IN addition to posting the source URL link, you should also write a
summary so that we don't need to waste time to read the long chat log...

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 22:56:31 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

"JW" wrote in message ...
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

A quick check shows there is no evidence whatsoever in the OP link to
suggest that these batteries are indeed Duracell in genuine packaging.

A somewhat longer check found some interesting items about Duracell
batteries. Draw your own conclusions from the anecdotal evidence:

"Duracell Batteries Leak In Normal Use, Class Action Claims"
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/45069-duracell-batteries-leak-normal-use-class-action-claims/

Leaking Duracell battery video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cLx32dSwoQ

Quite a few consumer complaints about leaking batteries:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/?search=duracell

Photos of another Duracell battery leaks while still in the package:
http://www.moonmoth.net/duracell/index.htm
http://www.moonmoth.net/duracell/images/IMG_2547.jpg

Exploding AA Duracell:
https://russmcduff.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/exploding-aa-duracell-battery/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 23:06:54 +0800 "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote in Message id:
:

On 17/09/16 03:59, JW wrote:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

IN addition to posting the source URL link, you should also write a
summary so that we don't need to waste time to read the long chat log...

Tough titty, asshat.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"JW" wrote in message ...
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

A quick check shows there is no evidence whatsoever in the OP link to
suggest that these batteries are indeed Duracell in genuine packaging.

A somewhat longer check found some interesting items about Duracell
batteries. Draw your own conclusions from the anecdotal evidence:

"Duracell Batteries Leak In Normal Use, Class Action Claims"
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/45069-duracell-batteries-leak-normal-use-class-action-claims/

Jeff, I think you will find that the OP posted photos of packaged unused
batteries that had leaked before use.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Draw your own conclusions from the anecdotal evidence:

Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

"Anecdotal evidence" is a bit of an Oxymoron, surely?

Gareth.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 22:25:46 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

"Anecdotal evidence" is a bit of an Oxymoron, surely?
Gareth.

Not really, unless you prefer the quantity of evidence over the
quality of evidence. The only problem with anecdotal evidence is the
lack of a sufficiently large sample for the observations to be
considered statistically relevant. However, that happens in a court
of law all the time. For example, all you need is one witness and a
corroborating witness to send someone to jail. That's no larger a
sample size of the possible observations than the leaking Duracell in
it's customer proof plastic packaging. Similarly, in civil trials,
it's the preponderance of evidence that decides the outcome, which is
nothing more than what each side can produce as anecdotal evidence.
Much as I would like to have peer reviewed, authoritative, and
properly documented evidence, with copious footnotes and sources, it's
unlikely to happen on the internet. If you don't like my anecdotes,
you can always get your own.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

If you don't like my anecdotes,
you can always get your own.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jeff,
I don't like your anecdotes, they are worthless.

Don't try and trade them as facts.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 00:52:41 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Jeff,
I don't like your anecdotes, they are worthless.
Don't try and trade them as facts.
Gareth.

Is that an invitation to exchange insults? Gosh, I haven't done that
in maybe 10 years. I'm not sure I remember how to be abusive,
abrasive, and obnoxious. However, I'll give it my best effort while
attempting to stay on topic. Let's see... leaking Duracell batteries.

Kinda sounds like your ability to scribble something worth reading is
running down. Since you're obviously running on Duracell batteries, I
suggest you upgrade to something rechargeable, which should provide
the necessary brain boost.

How am I doing? Your turn.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff,
I don't like your anecdotes, they are worthless.

Don't try and trade them as facts. "

I stuck my finger in a light socket anf got a shock.

So go right ahead and do it because anecdotal evidence means nothing.

And hey, I am going point a gun at a cop, because the evidence that I will get killed is only andecdotal.

I am going to steal a car and drive 150 MPH through a school zone too.

There's the door, don't let it hit you where the dog should've bit you.

This attitude that anecdotal evidence is useless is a bunch of ****. Science, thoughout the years was done by trial and error. They got you mother****ers brainwashed. Go ahead and try to use a 2N3055 for a 2SB425 and see what happens. And when the smoke comes out, try it again because anecdotal evidence does not count.

What the **** kind of planet are you people on ? Even the discovery of the elements on the periodic table is anectodal. "I tried this kind of acid on it and it did not react" and "I tried that kind of acid on it and it did react" and "I found that is take X degrees of heat to melt this substance" and **** like that.

How the **** can you not realize that everything you read was written by a person and therefore is anecdotal ? I bet you think the sky is blue. The sky is not blue. And the sun does not rise.

But I just posted this for the world because you can't be "arsed" to read my "waffle".
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"How am I doing? Your turn. "

Better'n him. People forget. I know you are a Jew, but you are a USian Jew. That means that you got all the arrogance we got plus about 14 % more. See all the business owners you've run across in your life ? Well they are business owners because they were too arrogant to work for anyone else.

That is one of the reasons jobs are never coming back to the US. They wat little lambs, sheep, cattle to herd and work their money making machine. Read Sloman, to him if the government didn't say it it is not true. And the Nazis killed 6,000,000 Jews. Not 6,000,001 or 5,999,999, Ed Zachary six million. And note, even if is was more like three million which is a more realistic estime, that doesn't make it right.

Like the WTC, anyone who questions the bull**** nd sketchy information pablum put out to the public and has questions is a conspiracy theorist and wears a tinfoil hat.

I think people like that would be called authoritarinists. Never question anything - as long as it is said by certain people. And whatever other people say is utter bull****.

It is common in the UK ad related places, and possibly North Korea. It is utterly sickening.

I can tell that you got at least half of your knowledge by questioning everything. Here comes this sheep who says he doesn't want your help, as if Webster is going to post an answer to this questions. Or General Electric engineers or something.

BNrainwashed people like that detract from the value of Usenet and the internet in general. But don't killfile them. They can be entertaining at ties, especially if we help.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 00:52:41 +0100 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

If you don't like my anecdotes,
you can always get your own.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jeff,
I don't like your anecdotes, they are worthless.

I don't like your opinions, they are less than worthless.

Don't try and trade them as facts.

*YAWN*
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2016-09-18, JW wrote:
I don't like your opinions, they are less than worthless.

You are a liar, a coward, and a weakling.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 03:28:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"How am I doing? Your turn. "

I know you are a Jew, but you are a USian Jew.

I was born in Germany. Parents are Polish. Ancestors are mostly
Russian. I came to the USA when I was about 5 years old.

That means that you got all the arrogance we got plus about 14 % more.

Just because we run everything, manage everything, own everything, and
control everything, doesn't mean we have to arrogant about it. Being
arrogant in public is a quick ticket to an immediate downfall,
something Jews are well aware of. We may be the smartest, best, most
powerful, and most knowledgeable, but it would stupid to mention it in
public. It tends to attract attention, something we really don't need
or want.

See all the business owners you've run across in your life ? Well
they are business owners because they were too arrogant to work
for anyone else.

It's hard to be humble, but we manage. The Jewish culture from Europe
tended to favor starting a small business, rather than working for a
large corporation. Jews tend to be better at that because their
parents also ran small businesses. The benefits of watching my
parents make all the basic mistakes is incalculable.

That is one of the reasons jobs are never coming back to the US.

Huh? Get real dude. Joe Sixpack and Soccer Moms voted with their
dollars. They want the cheapest products, period, while maintaining
the highest standard of living on the planet. Everything else is
secondary. Well, the American industry has delivered what the
consumer demanded.

They wat little lambs, sheep, cattle to herd and work their money
making machine.

Sure. Why else would I hire someone if I couldn't pay them less than
the money they made for me? I'm not a philanthropist and can't run at
a loss. Kinda looks like you're just jealous that Jews run the
economy. I can explain how this happened, but that would take too
long. Let's just say you don't have what it takes.

Read Sloman, to him if the government didn't say it it is not
true. And the Nazis killed 6,000,000 Jews. Not 6,000,001 or
5,999,999, Ed Zachary six million. And note, even if is was more
like three million which is a more realistic estime, that doesn't
make it right.

A million here, a million there. Soon, we'll be talking about real
people. (Apologies to Everett Dirksen).

In the US, Jews are about 2.2% of the US population (5.3 million
adults and 1.3 million children). Meanwhile, blacks are about 13%
while Hispanic/Latino are 17%. Now, ask yourself why such a small
minority of the US population seems to have such a big impact on your
paranoia?

Like the WTC (...)

I like writing conspiracy theories, but don't like hearing them. I'll
pass, this time.

I can tell that you got at least half of your knowledge by
questioning everything.

Correct. I would say more than half. The trick is to not totally
freak out if you're wrong, pick up the pieces, and try again.
Eventually, you get a really good picture of how things really work,
whom to trust, what to believe, and who is lying. It's not based on
well known facts, expert opinions, authoritative proclamations, and
other wastes of my time, but rather a "feeling" that something is
wrong. The next step is to prove it, which is significantly more
difficult.

Here comes this sheep who says he doesn't want your help, as
if Webster is going to post an answer to this questions.
Or General Electric engineers or something.

What have you done lately to help the sheep? Better yet, why should
you bother to help someone who can't even frame an intelligent
question or supply sufficient information for someone to provide a
useful answer? It's not because you want to help the sheep. If you
did that, all you'll do is perpetuate their lifestyle. It might be to
impress others in the forum or newsgroup, but that's unlikely because
those who are worth impressing also don't like show-offs. So, why?
It's because you would need to do some research and thinking to answer
their questions completely and accurately. In doing this research and
thinking, you will learn more about the topic, organize your thoughts,
and accumulate some knowledge. Sure, you'll make mistakes, be forced
to apologize, wreck your technical reputation, and such, but you will
learn. When the smoke clears, and the critics are long gone, you will
be far better at most everything than you were when you started.

BNrainwashed people like that detract from the value of Usenet
and the internet in general. But don't killfile them. They can be
entertaining at ties, especially if we help.

Yep. May I suggest a few additional guidelines:
----------- Cut here and paste onto monitor ---------------------
1. Don't post anything that you would not consider worth reading. If
you don't like reading crap, don't post crap.
2. Try not to change the subject. It happens, but at least don't be
the culprit who does it.
3. You have a right to have an opinion. However, I don't care about
anyone's opinion unless it is substantiated by references, sources,
logic, and calculations.
4. Lose the personal insults, profanity, and cute one-liners. It
makes you sound like one of the clueless sheep you're complaining
about.
5. Say something nice once in a while. Thank people for their
assistance and corrections. Be tactful, diplomatic, and courteous. In
other words, act and be like a professional.
----------- Cut here and paste onto monitor ---------------------

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I was born in Germany. Parents are Polish. "

"ARE" ? Alive ? Hope you spend time with them.

"We may be the smartest, best, most
powerful, and most knowledgeable, but it would stupid to mention it in public. It tends to attract attention, something we really don't need or want. "

My sarcasm detector is registering here. But there is truth to what you say.. There is alot not said about the history of Germany, like about the banks between WW1 and WW2. But also, Jews owned alot of businesses. I was brought up a similar way, somehow. When I was a kid my favorite present at Christmas or birthdays was books. I wasn't into stupid toys n **** like that.

Being studious at a young age like that does result in, I believe a better mind. My Grandfather was as Polish as they get. I used to go over on Saturdays and sometimes we went scrapping. He had his retirement, only owed a few hundred on his house, had CDs maqturing every month, and still got in his Ford Pinto ad drove it at 5 MPH scrapping, picking up those aluminum frame lawn chairs. He would strip them down and then when he had enough to literally fill the hatchback part of the car take them in. He knew how to use his mirrors. Later he started picking up TVs. We fixed a few and one Saturday I go over and he hands me some money. I asked what is this for and he told me he sold one of the TVs we had fixed together. While we were doing it, money had never entered my mind. However, later when I got to working age he said to me "Make them pay you". Meaning that, for example if "they" could get your services for $2 an hour "they" would have no shame in doing so, and such is the business world. He came up with a modification for knitting mills and the company who built them paid everything and flew him in at $500 per day to teach their engineers how to do it.

"Huh? Get real dude. Joe Sixpack and Soccer Moms voted with their
dollars. They want the cheapest products, period, while maintaining the highest standard of living on the planet. "

I have been saying something like that for years. In the 1970s when they wet to Kmart and saw a Zenith TV for $269 and a Sanyo for $229 they were happy to pocket the forty bucks. I absolutely agree, and the fact is I am starting to favor protectionism. Like these compaies who threaten the government that they'll leave if the taxes go up. GO, you ain't paying anything anyway. Ad then I would slap them with company specific tariffs. You paying now. And it would no longer be open season on the US consumer, you supply mandatory warrantees and parts on anything that costs over a hundred bucks. California used to have a law something like that until enough bribe, err lobby money got paid, and some places in Europe do have such laws. As much as I am against more laws, I favor something like that. It is ridiculous when a buddt of mine bought a new Samsung DLP and it broke under warranty ad threy said parts were no longer available. Then the state attorney general told him not to try to sue on his own or he would be excluded from a future class action lawsuit, which never happened.

Still enjoying that forty bucks folks ? That forty bucks also sent Zenith to Mexico. Their sales went up 4 % and profits like tripled or something like that.

"Correct. I would say more than half. "

There is almost like a miniseries in the new Outer Limits about a guy who gets cold fusion to work and makes booms, and is an evil mother****er. I think the name is "Final Exam" and it runs into other episodes including a Woman who builds a time machine and goes back and kills murderers before they commit the murder. Used to be available on hulu for free, not sure now but if you think you might be interested I'll find out and dig around the back of my head for all the episode names. They were not aired sequentially. They were a nice diversion and brought up some moral issues.

"What have you done lately to help the sheep? "

Less and less. I am to the point of advocating a mass reduction in world population.

"2. Try not to change the subject. It happens, but at least don't be the culprit who does it. "

The subject is out the wodow. Seriously I had to look up at the title bar of my browser (which some don't have anymore another gripe I got) to find out this is about counterfeit batteries.

"5. Say something nice once in a while."

OK, you generally try to help people here and have a pretty wide knowledge base. Sometimes you give an opinion but I find that usually those are well thought out, not flippant etc.

On the other hand, some Europeans and Australians have a superiority complex.

Until they get into a war.

The joke about France, old guy was at the airport and didn't have a visa, they asked if he had ever been there before ad didn't he have a visa ?". He said something to the effect that he was in the army and when he got there, there were no Frenchmen around to show it to. Go ahead with your attitude up there in England or down under, and when some Muslim assholes attack you we might just show you that we are too stupid to shoot straight. After all, these assholes are on the internet every day calling us barbarians because we got guns.

"Be tactful, diplomatic, and courteous. In
other words, act and be like a professional. "

I do that at work,, this is Usenet.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 12:52:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"I was born in Germany. Parents are Polish. "

"ARE" ? Alive ? Hope you spend time with them.

Sorry. Bad choice of words. They are both dead.

There is almost like a miniseries in the new Outer Limits about a
guy who gets cold fusion to work and makes booms, and is an evil
mother****er. I think the name is "Final Exam"...

There's more here than you might suspect. While I was quite young, my
favorite diversion was reading comic books. I would routinely get
thrown out of the local drug store for reading comic books off the
rack without buying at least one. Learning to speed read was an
obvious result.

I continued my habit of reading comic books long after growing up and
reading other types of books. Over the years, I noticed a change. In
the older books, the businessman was either the hero, or the victim of
the bad guy. At worst, the super-hero was there to protect the
businessman from evil. Scientists were also there to do all kinds of
cool things with brilliant inventions.

Then, it slowly changed. The businessman suddenly became the villain.
The great scientist became the mad scientist, evil genius, or insane
lunatic. Over the years, details were added, such as the businessman
making or inheriting tons of money, which immediately turned him to
the dark side. Meanwhile, the victims became archetypical nobodies,
who have never done anything remarkable in their lives, and are easily
susceptible to the machinations of the bad guy. The characters were
often color coded by their abilities or IQ to make sure they were
properly classified by the reader.

It made me sick to read this rubbish, so I gave up on comic books in
about 1980 and sold my collection. However, I couldn't resist reading
an occasional comic book and found that they had morphed into "action"
stories, which largely mirror today's "action" movies. Is life so
boring that we have to resort to ludicrous exaggerations of reality?
When was the last time we had a real street chase scene where the
participants destroyed everything in their paths?

So, what's wrong here? The Outer Limits was in the 1950's and was
before the trend to vilify businessmen and scientists. I guess it
could be considered ahead of its time. It wasn't hugely successful in
the 1950's mostly because few people swallowed the pitch line. We
were the greatest country after winning WWII and nobody is going to
tread on our arrogant self-image. Today, The Outer Limits still has
its following, is considered a cult classic, and has people like you
offering its messages as some kind of morality lesson. Were someone
able to make cold fusion work, they would be (in my never humble
opinion) a hero, worthy of the highest acclaim, not because they made
it work, but because they ignored all the nay sayers who said it
couldn't work. They would certainly not be a bomb builder and evil
scientist in the comic book and The Outer Limits traditions.

On the other hand, some Europeans and Australians have a superiority complex.

Only if they're also Jewish.

"Be tactful, diplomatic, and courteous. In
other words, act and be like a professional. "

I do that at work,, this is Usenet.

In the last 20 years, the internet, and in some areas Usenet, have
become the new reality. It is possible to go through an entire day
without leaving the computer. Everything is done on the internet. I
just got done buying cannibalized electronic parts and pieces on eBay.
If the prediction that we will all become "knowledge workers" is for
real, the internet will be your work. Try to act accordingly or you
will find that how you make your bed, is how you will sleep in it.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sorry. Bad choice of words. They are both dead."

In my case Dad is gone but ma is still here. I really wish there was more to talk about but there isn't. She is not into talking politics or electronics which is about it for me.

"Learning to speed read was an obvious result. "

I used to be pretty good but the eyesight does not allow it anymore. Actually I can read paper more easily then a computer screen but I am simply not up to printing everything. Thought I did print the Protocols Of The Learned Elders OF Zion. Forgery or not, they got something to say. Like, I am an atheist but I read Revelations. More than once. My Father read the Bible and the Book Of Mormon cover to cover. The Mormons came to the house once. ONCE. In fact the Jehovah's Witnesses came to the house once. ONCE. He knew more than they did about their books. But then once he retired, I still went to work and he sat there and needed something to do. And he invited them in and gave them a cup of coffee and all that, but they did not come back often.

"...and found that they had morphed into "action"
stories, which largely mirror today's "action" movies..."

I can't stand new movies and most of the TV shows. All fluff, not much plot and some of them look like they gave the camera to a ten year old. Even switching it to mono (if you even have that option) might not make the dialog intelligible. It helps. But even back in the 1960s 1970s mt Grandfather used to bitch that the music was too loud on the movies.

"Today, The Outer Limits still has
its following, is considered a cult classic, and has people like you offering its messages as some kind of morality lesson."

Not really, but it raises questions. The episode where the broad goes back in time and kills killers before they kill, think about that. Though fiction, think about that. And that is for us humans to think about, not just judges and lawyers and politicians. You go back in time and kill those who WILL be guilty to save the innocent, is that moral ?

In fact Gene Rodenberry got that subject up quite a bit, somewhat in TOS but alot more in TNG. Shame he died but he was born in the 1920s or some **** and was about ready. Rest in peace.

"On the other hand, some Europeans and Australians have a superiority complex.

Only if they're also Jewish. "

As far as I can tell, not really. They seem to be jealous of our gu rights. They call us all kinds of names. Like we are cowards for carrying a gun and **** like that. And of course with the statistics. Fact is you take about five cities out of it we got lower murder rates than they do. There are alot of assholes in this country, alot in the inner cities, and then we got gang wars. they got good education and they watch their kids and can see when they stat going wrong. Here, Daddy is at work and Mommy is at the bar. When they don't get that guidance in the first five tears or so, there is no fixing that. I knew how to read and write and basic math before I ever went to school. Now teachers bitch that the kids don't even know their color and basic shapes. And that is because these n----s of every color do not teach them anything they just put them in a car seat and go smoke a joint.

I got nothing against pot, I like it alot, but when you have kids they come first.

"Were someone able to make cold fusion work, they would be (in my never humble opinion) a hero, worthy of the highest acclaim, not because they made it work, but because they ignored all the nay sayers who said it couldn't work. They would certainly not be a bomb builder and evil scientist in the comic book and The Outer Limits traditions. "

Actually I have done a few things like that, but nothing of that scale of course. But the dude had a test in front of him in class and is had a question on it that read "Explain why cold fusion cannot work" and after a little though he walked out, and then planted a bunch of bombs at the school and pretty much held it hostage. Four hours of intertwined plots, I can relate all of it if you really don't want to watch it but really, you might want to just get some bagels and lox and watch them. Four one hour parts. I thought it as good as any Star Trek I had ever seen and I saw them all until Abrams took over and run it into the ground.

"Try to act accordingly or you will find that how you make your bed, is how you will sleep in it. "

Yeah but some people just have it coming.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...ies-seem-to-ha
ve-a-bad-rap/msg1027983/#msg1027983

A relative of mine imported the first batch of Duracell rechargeables
into the UK and gave ma a dozen of them to test. I left six of them on
a bedroom window sill and put six of them into a battery-operated tape
recorder where they would get moderate use.

Within three months, the cells in the tape recorder began leaking and
had to be thrown away. I then checked the cells on the window sill and
found they were leaking too.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 14:58:48 -0000 (UTC) Roger Blake
:

On 2016-09-18, JW wrote:
I don't like your opinions, they are less than worthless.

You are a liar, a coward, and a weakling.

Ditto for you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2016-09-19, JW wrote:
Ditto for you.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 01:36:31 -0000 (UTC) Roger Blake
:

On 2016-09-19, JW wrote:
Ditto for you.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Come back when you've had enough of your "Yap! Yap! Yap!" routine and feel
like trying for a bite at my ankle instead of trying to hump it. TIA.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2016-09-19, JW wrote:
Ditto for you.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

You have to bind a hamster with sellotape so it doesn't split when you ****
it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 3:59:29 PM UTC-4, JW wrote:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

Too lazy to read the link but I know for a fact that name brand batteries
(Duracell and Energizer specifically) are known to be counterfeited. Not
saying that has anything to do with the link but just throwing that out
there.

Just taken a pair of dead Duracell AA cells out of a TV remote that had been
laying around a long time - no evidence of leakage at all.

Kodak Extralife from the £ store are much cheaper and last nearly as long,
so I buy a couple of packs when I remember - just got to the back of the
drawer where I keep them and found a couple of dud cells. One had a bit of
corrosion on the negative contact, the other was clean.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Just taken a pair of dead Duracell AA cells out of a TV remote that had been laying around a long time - no evidence of leakage at all. "

That does not respond to what you responding to. He is talking about counterfeit batteries. What's more, heavy duty cells should not be used in remote controls because their power drain is so low. Operational battery life approaches shelf life.

"One had a bit of corrosion on the negative contact, the other was clean. "

Also proves nothing. A Kodak is a different brand and even if they were made at the same factory it could have been to different specs. And corrosion does not prove a leak at all.

If people are really getting leaks in those Duracells it is actually more likely that they "streamlined" their manufacturing process.

To know for sure you need to cut the thing apart and measure everything and then do a chemical analysis. If that fails to prove anything then you have to cut some more and look at the seams for defects. For a AA battery ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Grumble, and $15 gone. "

That's nothing. You probably have your first dollar and you got better credit than at least 90 % of the population in this country.

But I do understand that $15 is probably $20 today. That can probably still get you a bag of weed over there in case you happen to smoke it.

Anyway, I think we have to see by now that batteries leak whether you use them or not. When depends on the brand I guess, or not so much. Maybe the manufacturer. The company that sells Duracells is probably not in the US so they probably have them made elswhere. Hell, Union Carbide was doing that in India when my sister still needed a fake ID to drink. Boy if I had some money when their stock dropped like a rock I could have made a nice little pile.

Speaking of which, how come that package says "Piles" on it ? Is that some foreign word for batteries ? In fact those aren't even batteries technically, they are cells. A battery means a bunch of them like a nine volt. But like alot of words in this country, they are used incorrectly, but once accepted the thing is that the listener understands the speaker. But I have never seen the word piles on anything of the sort.

We have to treat them like electrolytic caps I guess. I have read plenty of people reporting that they leaked without ever being used.