Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

In article ,
says...

On 9/17/2016 7:12 PM, Leon wrote:

I doubt you will ever see any loss of strength by using the wider
mortise cut for all of your joint unions.

Since I use a Multi-Router for floating tenon joiner and I make all my
tenons myself, begs a question:

If the need arose is there any reason you can't cut a wider mortise with
the domino (say one and a half or two passes) and make your own tenons?

The internet abounds with method of making your own dominos. Google
"DIY domino tenons".

If you're picky about fit and doing it in volume the roundover on the
edges can be an issue--in principle it's easy with a router and a
roundover bit, in practice try to find a 7mm radius roundover bit in the
US.

This table was posted on the Festool forum by Gregg Mann:
http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...ecific-router-
bits-recommended-for-making-my-own-dominoes/

5mm-use 3/32 rad. (If you can find them in each case)
6mm 1/8
8mm 5/32
10mm 3/16
12mm 1/4

Others just chamfer the ends, use a block plane, sand them, or even use
them square.

I susspect that somebody would do well producing a purpose made set of
bits to cut dominos.