Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Think twice before you buy Duracell batteries

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 16:33:16 -0400, JW wrote:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:20:59 -0700 Jeff Liebermann
wrote in Message id: :

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 15:59:24 -0400, JW wrote:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/du...83/#msg1027983

... and the batteries that don't leak explode when shorted:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Duracell/index.html

Don't short them, then.
How did the short happen? An experiment?

The pictures were supplied by a friend. His desk is a mountain of
junk, some of it conductive. Brand new battery got tossed onto the
pile, where the exposed leads were shorted by something. Some time
later (delay unknown), there was a loud bang. It took him some time
to find the culprit, which was then photographed.

Unfortunately, he tossed the batteries before I could get my hands on
them to determine if they were real or counterfeit. I can't tell from
the photos. I bought an identical battery from a local retailer,
shorted the terminals with a #12 solid copper wire, and waited for the
explosion. Nothing but some noises from venting gasses, some smoke,
and plenty of heat. No bang. So, it might have been one cell with a
blocked vent plug, or possibly a counterfeit battery.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D