Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

In article ,
says...

On 9/15/2016 7:23 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Come to think the Leigh will have a similar limitation--it can't cut
any deeper than the longest router bit I can get.

Consider using end mills for cutting mortises with a router. I don't use
anything else on my Multi-Router.

The XL
can go 2.75 inches deep which is a big improvement. Be dandy for
windows but a little short for full sized frame-and-panel doors.

Since most large door frame stiles are rarely over 6" in width, I doubt
that will ever be a practical limitation, as the traditional rules for
tenon length is five times its thickness, or 1/3rd the width of the stile.

It's a third of the thickness, 2/3 of the _width_ for a door. So a six
inch stile needs a 4 inch tenon. Still, did some measuring and the
widest is only 4 inches so the Domino's back in the running.

Any thoughts on using it with a coped joint?