Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2914 Ignoramus2914 is offline

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

On 2016-09-14, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 07:59:06 -0500, Ignoramus16559

On 2016-09-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 05:08:41 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
suitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

They're a lot prettier than the little 6" piece that I have.

The square clean cuts look good, but the rust on the sides is
unattractive. Obviously Iggy needs to put them into a little
vibratory or tumbling parts cleaner to polish them up a bit.

g Sure, he could sandblast and paint them, putting a polish on the
top and bottom. But that's extra work. He probably likes the profit
he has with the simple cutting and boxing. IIRC, he had less of a
problem digging them out than expected, which is always good.

these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

I expect the rust was a free added bonus.

The oldest rails in the pile were marked 1927. They all had rust, but
not too much.