Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

On 2016-09-13, wrote:

How long does it take for a cut, roughly???

5 minutes one rail, 8 minutes two. Roughly.

That's not too bad, then...could make for a really boring day, though...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-13, dpb wrote:
On 09/13/2016 7:59 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

I did a search; surprised at how many folks are selling 'em and for what
a range of pricing! I guess it must be harder to lay one's hands on a
chunk of old rail in general than is around here... Or, I suppose,
the real problem is most folk don't have a way to handle a chunk the
size generally can find or do anything with it after did...

Rails are not easy to come by.

Once I bought rails in the ground that I had to pull with my skid
steer. That was strictly scrap material and a good deal, a full
truckload of rails.

The second time I bought a pile of mostly new rails and some
used. This is what I am selling off right now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-13, wrote:

How long does it take for a cut, roughly???

5 minutes one rail, 8 minutes two. Roughly.

That's not too bad, then...could make for a really boring day, though...

I do not stand next to the saw. I go and do something else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/13/2016 2:47 PM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

Rails are not easy to come by.

In large quantity and metro areas, probably not. There's no shortage of
scrap pieces laying around in various places around here, though, left
over from abandoned sidings, etc., etc., etc., ... for most it would
take gear the average homeowner doesn't have, though, granted. I drug a
20-ft chunk home w/ the frontend loader on the tractor from about 3 mi
away a few years ago...haven't done a thing with it yet, though. The
short sections am using have been around the place since I was a kid in
the 50s and no telling how long grandfather had had 'em before that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 09:23:15 -0500, Ignoramus16559

On 2016-09-13, dpb wrote:
On 09/13/2016 7:58 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

The feed table is a roller conveyor, the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...

How long does it take for a cut, roughly???

5 minutes one rail, 8 minutes two. Roughly.

Big question..whats your blade life like?

And what saw are you using?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When Dad worked at the A&E squad on a B52 wing - he covered 3 wings...
the Mechanical shops made him an anvil turned on a lathe for a round
nose (top round bottom flat). and the ?heal? of the anvil was milled
flat. Four holes for 3/4" bolts bored in the bottom flange.

Haven't seen it in years - someone got it at one time or another.
Likely a grandson. :-)

Martin

On 9/11/2016 10:16 AM, dpb wrote:
On 09/11/2016 9:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Rail is claimed to be a passable and more available substitute for a
small anvil.

Indeed, was my suggested use when iggy first posted potential uses
of rail.

I've got several chunks around the farmstead for various purpii; one
them is, in fact, carried in the pick-em-up to serve that purpose in the
field for small repairs...another is a very convenient gate-stop in the
barn...altho I don't believe I'd consider purchasing one mail-order for
the purpose...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are a number of rail-fans that have cars. They need sticks.
Many parks, cities and companies have their own and one has to be in
circles to find a set of 100 sticks or so for sale.

I know of one private railroad that has miles and miles of rail that
they laid themselves. The trains run on normal rails and are 2/3 size
and were used with cars in the SFO expo in 95 ? was it - that is 1895.

John and I to a ride on them one day and got to visit their shops
when I lived on the west coast.

Martin

On 9/13/2016 8:32 AM, dpb wrote:
On 09/13/2016 7:59 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

I did a search; surprised at how many folks are selling 'em and for what
a range of pricing! I guess it must be harder to lay one's hands on a
chunk of old rail in general than is around here... Or, I suppose,
the real problem is most folk don't have a way to handle a chunk the
size generally can find or do anything with it after did...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
When Dad worked at the A&E squad on a B52 wing - he covered 3
wings... the Mechanical shops made him an anvil turned on a lathe
for a round nose (top round bottom flat). and the ?heal? of the
anvil was milled flat. Four holes for 3/4" bolts bored in the
bottom flange.

Haven't seen it in years - someone got it at one time or another.
Likely a grandson. :-)

Martin

I use 2" pipe on sawhorses as an anvil to smooth out storm damage to
corrugated roofing.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 07:59:06 -0500, Ignoramus16559

On 2016-09-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 05:08:41 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
suitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

They're a lot prettier than the little 6" piece that I have.

The square clean cuts look good, but the rust on the sides is
unattractive. Obviously Iggy needs to put them into a little
vibratory or tumbling parts cleaner to polish them up a bit.

g Sure, he could sandblast and paint them, putting a polish on the
top and bottom. But that's extra work. He probably likes the profit
he has with the simple cutting and boxing. IIRC, he had less of a
problem digging them out than expected, which is always good.

these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

I expect the rust was a free added bonus.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

Sweet! That looks like a decent size out of which to make a properly
shaped anvil, with the cutout bottom and horn shaped end. And you're
probably making a killing from the simple(ish) cutting process. It
looks like you built a strong feed table for the band saw, and likely
the same for the outfeed.

The feed table is a roller conveyor,

No wonder I thought that looked like a familiar object.

the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...

I'd settle for a light sabre, for a cut cleaner than plasma.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 06:54:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
When Dad worked at the A&E squad on a B52 wing - he covered 3
wings... the Mechanical shops made him an anvil turned on a lathe
for a round nose (top round bottom flat). and the ?heal? of the
anvil was milled flat. Four holes for 3/4" bolts bored in the
bottom flange.

Haven't seen it in years - someone got it at one time or another.
Likely a grandson. :-)

Martin

I use 2" pipe on sawhorses as an anvil to smooth out storm damage to
corrugated roofing.

What do you do about elongated/ripped holddown screw holes?
They're the bane to the reuse of corrugated metal.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

I use 2" pipe on sawhorses as an anvil to smooth out storm damage to
corrugated roofing.

What do you do about elongated/ripped holddown screw holes?
They're the bane to the reuse of corrugated metal.

The roofs of the temporary sheds are connected to each other by nuts
and bolts in the corners, and kept from sliding with screws through
the edges of the lower panel. I tied split/warped PT 2x4s across them
to keep the wind from lifting them. Damaged and repaired panels have
no screw holes that would leak when reused elsewhere.

In late fall I untie the 2x4s and sweep off the leaves with a broom on
a painting extension pole.

I have roofs that take 4' and 6' panels so badly damaged ones can be
cut short as spares for them. Smaller pieces can be cut into patches
for punctures from falling branches. Little goes to waste.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:36:44 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/13/2016 2:47 PM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

Rails are not easy to come by.

In large quantity and metro areas, probably not. There's no shortage of
scrap pieces laying around in various places around here, though, left
over from abandoned sidings, etc., etc., etc., ... for most it would
take gear the average homeowner doesn't have, though, granted. I drug a
20-ft chunk home w/ the frontend loader on the tractor from about 3 mi
away a few years ago...haven't done a thing with it yet, though. The
short sections am using have been around the place since I was a kid in
the 50s and no telling how long grandfather had had 'em before that.

70 years ago, when maternal grandfather came to live with us, he
brought with him a 2' length of rail. (He was the son of a blacksmith
and shoed his first horse at eight years of age, at one time worked as
Henry Ford's personal research blacksmith). A family friend expressed
interest in the rail, so Grandad cut it in half with a hacksaw.
40+ years ago, my survey party chief, friend and personal pilot
(personal 1947 Luscombe 8E) while rebuilding a somewhat isolated
airfield; offered me a ~30" length of rail in exchange for some of my
surplus tools. About a year ago, I dragged this out of my material
resource area and sent it to work with second son, where he cut the
ends square on the company band saw (graveyard shift) and cut a couple
paper weights for favoured workmates.
These two treasures will leave my shop over my dead body, or if Junior
needs one.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:10:49 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

I use 2" pipe on sawhorses as an anvil to smooth out storm damage to
corrugated roofing.

What do you do about elongated/ripped holddown screw holes?
They're the bane to the reuse of corrugated metal.

The roofs of the temporary sheds are connected to each other by nuts
and bolts in the corners, and kept from sliding with screws through
the edges of the lower panel. I tied split/warped PT 2x4s across them
to keep the wind from lifting them. Damaged and repaired panels have
no screw holes that would leak when reused elsewhere.

That's amazing. How did you manage to find unholy used corrugated?

In late fall I untie the 2x4s and sweep off the leaves with a broom on
a painting extension pole.

Pressure washer is quicker. Speaking of which, I just tried to start
mine and it wouldn't, so the quick squirt of carb cleaner got 'er
going. The only problem is that the engine runs either at WFO or
nothing. I may have a stuck float or something. The governor spring
is still attached, so it's not that. Time to delve. sigh I wanted
to repaint my back porch and patio today, too.

I have roofs that take 4' and 6' panels so badly damaged ones can be
cut short as spares for them. Smaller pieces can be cut into patches
for punctures from falling branches. Little goes to waste.

Oh, _that's_ how you cheat on the unholy bastids. Got it.
My stuff is 8' or 10' and I use neoprene-collared screws every 2'.
Panels are 3' so I have 3 screws per panel at each purlin.
They make no noise in winds and rain (or leaks), either.
I'm not fond of wavy corrugated, so I use the Fabral style flattopped
V-groove metal every foot in width. Love the stuff. The next time I
do a roof, though, I'll use a full covering of 7/16" OSB instead of
purlins, and lay 15# felt with metal roofing on top. My carport
condenses a wee bit in the morning. My Crom! OSB is up to $12/sheet
now. thud Still, I could walk on it for only $100 more. Well
worth it.

I'll probably do a standing seam metal roof over the shingles when
this roof gives it up.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

I use 2" pipe on sawhorses as an anvil to smooth out storm damage
corrugated roofing.

What do you do about elongated/ripped holddown screw holes?
They're the bane to the reuse of corrugated metal.

The roofs of the temporary sheds are connected to each other by nuts
and bolts in the corners, and kept from sliding with screws through
the edges of the lower panel. I tied split/warped PT 2x4s across
them
to keep the wind from lifting them. Damaged and repaired panels have
no screw holes that would leak when reused elsewhere.

That's amazing. How did you manage to find unholy used corrugated?

The used ones I mentioned are my own, quickly replaced with spare new
or reconditioned ones after branches fall on them and then
restraightened later.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-13, dpb wrote:
On 09/13/2016 7:58 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

The feed table is a roller conveyor, the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...

How long does it take for a cut, roughly???

5 minutes one rail, 8 minutes two. Roughly.

Big question..whats your blade life like?

And what saw are you using?

about a bucket of rail chips per blade.

I use a Taiwanese 2 hp saw. It works great
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
[...]

The oldest rails in the pile were marked 1927. They all had rust, but
not too much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

He should be busy trying to get the eight towers from that dark AM
radio station in South Chicago. The land is being sold, and the towers
could be sold to another station, if they are taken down with a crane.

It requires $2 million in insurance, to take on the job.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCFJ_(defunct)

how tall are the towers?

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

The towers are new enough to be resold to another radio station, as
long as they are taken down with care. It would be worth looking into
the county's property database to see what the heights are. Also, there
are probably miles of heavy copper wire buried around the towers, for a
counterpoise. There isn't a lot of time left to get them, before they
are simply cut down and hauled as scrap.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.