Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:36:44 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/13/2016 2:47 PM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

Rails are not easy to come by.

In large quantity and metro areas, probably not. There's no shortage of
scrap pieces laying around in various places around here, though, left
over from abandoned sidings, etc., etc., etc., ... for most it would
take gear the average homeowner doesn't have, though, granted. I drug a
20-ft chunk home w/ the frontend loader on the tractor from about 3 mi
away a few years ago...haven't done a thing with it yet, though. The
short sections am using have been around the place since I was a kid in
the 50s and no telling how long grandfather had had 'em before that.

70 years ago, when maternal grandfather came to live with us, he
brought with him a 2' length of rail. (He was the son of a blacksmith
and shoed his first horse at eight years of age, at one time worked as
Henry Ford's personal research blacksmith). A family friend expressed
interest in the rail, so Grandad cut it in half with a hacksaw.
40+ years ago, my survey party chief, friend and personal pilot
(personal 1947 Luscombe 8E) while rebuilding a somewhat isolated
airfield; offered me a ~30" length of rail in exchange for some of my
surplus tools. About a year ago, I dragged this out of my material
resource area and sent it to work with second son, where he cut the
ends square on the company band saw (graveyard shift) and cut a couple
paper weights for favoured workmates.
These two treasures will leave my shop over my dead body, or if Junior
needs one.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada