Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

On 2016-09-14, HerHusband wrote:

I haven't seen S-K tools in my area for a long time. I didn't know they
were still being made.

They are currently under the Ideal Tools brand and are sold to any
high-end mfrg company that may still be in existence and/or can afford
to pay "tool reps". I recall my company's relation with Ideal Tools.
Hot, cute, tool reps to sell you tools at insanely high prices, less
than ethical shipping practices, after you've ordered.

Actually, I bought a few "Husky" brand hand tools at Home Depot to keep in
the car recently. I'm sure they're made in China (everything is) but they
seemed to be decent quality.

I'm not a China hater. I figure China is to mfrg, now, what USA was,
back in the 50s-60s. They will provide the quality they are paid to
provide. No more, no less. At least Husky has the "Forever
Guarantee".

I remember the cheap sockets my step-dad used to buy. The chrome was
peeling off, and they would either strip out inside or just crack in half
when you put any pressure on them. I quickly learned to buy my own tools
and not borrow his.

Being retired, I don't hafta worry about tool quality as much as when
I was a pro. This is fortunate, as the tools now available are crap,
compared to 30-40 yrs ago. OTOH, I recently bought some Craftsman SAE
combo wrenches. I held out until the "Made in USA" wrenches were on
sale. Yes! Sears offers both domestic and foreign made tools under
the Craftman name. Yer choice. I don't wanna guess "where" in the
the USA these tools were made. Hopefully, not on Guam.

BTW, my chrome S-K sockets never lost their chrome plating, even when
I used 'em on air impact tools. Too bad they were stolen.

nb