Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16559 Ignoramus16559 is offline

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

On 2016-09-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 18:01:01 -0500, Ignoramus7822

On 2016-09-12, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:25:18 -0500, Ignoramus8004

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

Sweet! That looks like a decent size out of which to make a properly
shaped anvil, with the cutout bottom and horn shaped end. And you're
probably making a killing from the simple(ish) cutting process. It
looks like you built a strong feed table for the band saw, and likely
the same for the outfeed.

The feed table is a roller conveyor, the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...