Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pardon my interruption with a metalworking post

OK, so only half of it is. wink

http://newatlas.com/royal-navy-robot...-thames/45268/
Wouldn't you love one of these RC units, maybe with a pair of Ma
Deuces hung front and rear?

So, on to the metalworking part:

I had been getting more and more seasick this past week, so I flipped
my office chair over this morning and found the trouble. One of the
1/8" thick steel fingers had finally snapped off, one holding the tilt
adjustment together. I took the chair apart, moved tons of crap out
of the way in my shop so I could roll the TIG to the doorway and work
outside, used the HFT 4" angle grinder to make some metal clean, and
tigged that li'l pup back together. A little flat black spray paint
and I was back in business about an hour later.

It sure is nice to have the tools and knowledge to be able to do
things like this myself. I had repaired part of this task about 4
years ago when the rivet made its way loose. A bolt kept it together
for another 4. I had evidently missed the cracked finger back then,
as part of the break was dull, the other bright. It's not a pretty
weld, but I got some more practice in on it. It's still fire season
and this was not quite legal, but I hosed down the walk and grass all
around it for 25' so there was no chance of a spark igniting anything
during my one minute of welding.

The chair itself was a good high-backed exec style from Staples I
bought as a gift to myself, hmm, maybe 2 decades ago. It's really
hangin' in there. The thick foam is still perfectly sound, as is the
black fabric. Given the amount of time I spend in it, it has proven
to be a very good investment, perhaps good enough to go another
decade.

Oh, one last thing before I go:

What would you use to cut up half of a truck utility bed into its
component panels? It was a freebie from Craigslist a decade ago. My
knee was acting up a the time so I never got back to pick up the front
half. (Nope, no idea why the idiot would have cut it in half in the
first place.) I think it runs from 12ga to 9ga diamond plate.

Anyway, I'll save the doors and hinges as units, but need to cut the
steel panels near the welds. I'm thinking to use a cutoff wheel to
get to the corners, making slots wide enough for a recip blade to do
the actual panel cutting. I think that both HFT and Ace bimetal
blades are available (broke the last 6" 24tpi Lenox last year) so I'll
do a longevity test on each of 'em, starting with the HFT.

This is one of the little tasks I've been waiting to get around to
once I retired.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

this is not metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What would you use to cut up half of a truck utility bed into its
component panels? It was a freebie from Craigslist a decade ago. My
knee was acting up a the time so I never got back to pick up the front
half. (Nope, no idea why the idiot would have cut it in half in the
first place.) I think it runs from 12ga to 9ga diamond plate.

Anyway, I'll save the doors and hinges as units, but need to cut the
steel panels near the welds. I'm thinking to use a cutoff wheel to
get to the corners, making slots wide enough for a recip blade to do
the actual panel cutting. I think that both HFT and Ace bimetal
blades are available (broke the last 6" 24tpi Lenox last year) so I'll
do a longevity test on each of 'em, starting with the HFT.

I would use a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. It's quiet, fast and
doesn't beat you up with the vibration.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 19:25:03 -0500, Ignoramus32044
wrote:

this is not metalworking

Well, aren't you the freakin' purist today?

On 2016-09-06, Larry Jaques wrote:
OK, so only half of it is. wink

[...]

Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 19:25:03 -0500, Ignoramus32044
wrote:

this is not metalworking

Really? Odd...then tearing down a machine tool and putting it in your
dump truck for salvage isnt metalworking either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 18:49:37 -0700, BobH
wrote:

What would you use to cut up half of a truck utility bed into its
component panels? It was a freebie from Craigslist a decade ago. My
knee was acting up a the time so I never got back to pick up the front
half. (Nope, no idea why the idiot would have cut it in half in the
first place.) I think it runs from 12ga to 9ga diamond plate.

Anyway, I'll save the doors and hinges as units, but need to cut the
steel panels near the welds. I'm thinking to use a cutoff wheel to
get to the corners, making slots wide enough for a recip blade to do
the actual panel cutting. I think that both HFT and Ace bimetal
blades are available (broke the last 6" 24tpi Lenox last year) so I'll
do a longevity test on each of 'em, starting with the HFT.

I would use a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. It's quiet, fast and
doesn't beat you up with the vibration.

I vote for the torch. Unless you are really handy with a plasma
cutter and have plenty of con$umables

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:44:37 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

this is not metalworking

Really? Odd...then tearing down a machine tool and putting it in your
dump truck for salvage isnt metalworking either.

It is better than the political posts, and I would say it is metalworking.

But tearing down a machine tool for salvage is not Recreational and not Crafts.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No tanks for my torch set, and there is no way I'm single handedly
plasma cutter. Yeah, plasma is the perfect way to dissect that thing.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 05:23:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:44:37 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

this is not metalworking

Really? Odd...then tearing down a machine tool and putting it in your
dump truck for salvage isnt metalworking either.

It is better than the political posts, and I would say it is metalworking.

But tearing down a machine tool for salvage is not Recreational and not Crafts.

Dan

Yet we have seen scads of posts from our Ruskie on tearing down
machinery and presses and all manner of other similar things.

And he bitches?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:44:37 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

this is not metalworking

Really? Odd...then tearing down a machine tool and putting it in your
dump truck for salvage isnt metalworking either.

It is better than the political posts, and I would say it is metalworking.

But tearing down a machine tool for salvage is not Recreational and not Crafts.

Dan

Yet we have seen scads of posts from our Ruskie on tearing down
machinery and presses and all manner of other similar things.

And he bitches?

He should be busy trying to get the eight towers from that dark AM
radio station in South Chicago. The land is being sold, and the towers
could be sold to another station, if they are taken down with a crane.

It requires $2 million in insurance, to take on the job.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCFJ_(defunct)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

how tall are the towers?

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:44:37 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

this is not metalworking

Really? Odd...then tearing down a machine tool and putting it in your
dump truck for salvage isnt metalworking either.

It is better than the political posts, and I would say it is metalworking.

But tearing down a machine tool for salvage is not Recreational and not Crafts.

Dan

Yet we have seen scads of posts from our Ruskie on tearing down
machinery and presses and all manner of other similar things.

And he bitches?

He should be busy trying to get the eight towers from that dark AM
radio station in South Chicago. The land is being sold, and the towers
could be sold to another station, if they are taken down with a crane.

It requires $2 million in insurance, to take on the job.

Oregon required me to have half a mil in insurance to be a handyman.
$2M for a commercial venture is nothing.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus21943" wrote in
message ...
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

How good is blade life?
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Rail is claimed to be a passable and more available substitute for a
small anvil.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Railroad-Track-Anvil/

After I found an antique English anvil (with my name stamped on it!) I
put my chunk of rail away and haven't used it since.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/11/2016 9:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Rail is claimed to be a passable and more available substitute for a
small anvil.

Indeed, was my suggested use when iggy first posted potential uses
of rail.

I've got several chunks around the farmstead for various purpii; one
them is, in fact, carried in the pick-em-up to serve that purpose in the
field for small repairs...another is a very convenient gate-stop in the
barn...altho I don't believe I'd consider purchasing one mail-order for
the purpose...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It is not nothing, but doable, as far as I know.

I am not sure, practically, how likely are these insurance companies
to actually pay out if something happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus21943" wrote in
message ...
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

How good is blade life?

Blade life is what I am trying to figure out now.

With new rails, cutting seems to go better, as new rails are not yet
work hardened. We ruined 2 blades on used rails, but possibly, it
happened because the teeth were too coarse.

I just cut about 15 of new rail pieces and the blade does not seem to
be doing any worse, as judged by the time required to cut one rail.

On regular mild steel, I could get two buckets of sawing chips per one
blade a few years ago.

The saw is three phase, 1" width and 11' length of the blade. Runs
with coolant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Rail is claimed to be a passable and more available substitute for a
small anvil.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Railroad-Track-Anvil/

After I found an antique English anvil (with my name stamped on it!) I
put my chunk of rail away and haven't used it since.

They have a nice top profile for many operations, and are easy to
carry around. And you can weld them down to anything. They are NOT
good for heavy work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/11/2016 9:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Rail is claimed to be a passable and more available substitute for a
small anvil.

Indeed, was my suggested use when iggy first posted potential uses
of rail.

I've got several chunks around the farmstead for various purpii; one
them is, in fact, carried in the pick-em-up to serve that purpose in the
field for small repairs...another is a very convenient gate-stop in the
barn...altho I don't believe I'd consider purchasing one mail-order for
the purpose...

I think that these "rail anvils" are like sledgehammers. Everyone
needs one for this or that purpose, just like you said. I have a big
pile of rails (after having sold off some for usable relay rail), to
be cut up in small pieces.

Here's a picture of the remaining pile of rails (cut up for
convenience) from my security camera:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/work-11.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/11/2016 10:20 AM, Ignoramus8004 wrote:

I am not sure, practically, how likely are these insurance companies
to actually pay out if something happens.

Like any other insurance company, that'll depend upon the reliability of
the underwriter--in general, if they aren't sound they won't be around long.

When doing the independent, self-employed consulting gig, many larger
outfits req'd professional liability in same ilk; had to revert to a
much larger market to find an agent who had access to the underwriters
than here, but should have no issues in a major metro area.

Question is whether the hassle is worth the trouble or not; of course,
in the business your in, you really should have such just to ensure
assets are protected, "just in case"...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:43:01 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Rail is claimed to be a passable and more available substitute for a
small anvil.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Railroad-Track-Anvil/

Cut 'em smaller. They're going like hotcakes.
http://tinyurl.com/hgau2ma
Most start at $30 for an inch! (jeweler size)

After I found an antique English anvil (with my name stamped on it!) I
put my chunk of rail away and haven't used it since.

Where'd you find a "Jim" anvil?

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You damned well have to be following all the rules and regs or they
won't pay out.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus21943" wrote in
message ...
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per
yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a
bandsaw.

How good is blade life?

Blade life is what I am trying to figure out now.

With new rails, cutting seems to go better, as new rails are not yet
work hardened. We ruined 2 blades on used rails, but possibly, it
happened because the teeth were too coarse.

Orientation could make a difference, too. Trying to cut on the
top of the rail you are hitting the work hardened area at its worst. I
think that if you clamp the rail so you start on the side, and the
hardened top is at the side where the teeth exit, you might do a bit
better there.

Or, you could use an angle grinder to remove the hardened
surface before cutting.

I just cut about 15 of new rail pieces and the blade does not seem to
be doing any worse, as judged by the time required to cut one rail.

That sounds good. What percentage of your rails are "new" vs
"work hardened"?

On regular mild steel, I could get two buckets of sawing chips per one
blade a few years ago.

That, of course, in part goes with the pitch of the blade. I
gather that you've switched to a finer pitch for this job, so that
metric is now questionable. :-)

The saw is three phase, 1" width and 11' length of the blade. Runs
with coolant.

A good machine for the job. Have you figured out what it costs
you per cut in electric power?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:43:01 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

After I found an antique English anvil (with my name stamped on it!)
put my chunk of rail away and haven't used it since.

Where'd you find a "Jim" anvil?

It should have been WILKINSON, but the end of the stamp didn't imprint
on the uneven forged surface.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2016-09-11, wrote:

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Interesting...just curious how many would actually "bite"...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:25:18 -0500, Ignoramus8004

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

They're a lot prettier than the little 6" piece that I have.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:
Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
suitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

They're a lot prettier than the little 6" piece that I have.

The square clean cuts look good, but the rust on the sides is
unattractive. Obviously Iggy needs to put them into a little
vibratory or tumbling parts cleaner to polish them up a bit.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
On 09/10/2016 11:10 PM, Ignoramus21943 wrote:

Metalworking wise, I am busy cutting railroad rails (112 lbs per yard)
into 11 inch pieces that fit into flat rate boxes. Doing so with a bandsaw.

Out of random curiosity, has/is there significant demand???

Yes. They are great for small time anvils, like for straightening
nails or working with small pieces. I have one myself. They are not
quitable for heavy work.

I sold about 12 "rail anvils" between 8/23 and 9/5, 8 online and 4
offline. They I ran out of cut sections, started cutting again on
Friday.

Navajo silversmiths use them for hollowing and dishing, after sanding
a good polish on the tops.

At least, they did, 50 years ago, when I saw them.

Here's how cut up rails look like:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cut-up-Rails.jpg

Sweet! That looks like a decent size out of which to make a properly
shaped anvil, with the cutout bottom and horn shaped end. And you're
probably making a killing from the simple(ish) cutting process. It
looks like you built a strong feed table for the band saw, and likely
the same for the outfeed.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
[...]

g Sure, he could sandblast and paint them, putting a polish on the
top and bottom. But that's extra work. He probably likes the profit
he has with the simple cutting and boxing. IIRC, he had less of a
problem digging them out than expected, which is always good.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
[...]

The feed table is a roller conveyor, the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
[...]

these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/13/2016 7:59 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

I did a search; surprised at how many folks are selling 'em and for what
a range of pricing! I guess it must be harder to lay one's hands on a
chunk of old rail in general than is around here... Or, I suppose,
the real problem is most folk don't have a way to handle a chunk the
size generally can find or do anything with it after did...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/13/2016 7:58 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

The feed table is a roller conveyor, the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...

How long does it take for a cut, roughly???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16559 fired this volley
in :

wrote:

On 2016-09-11, dpb wrote:
[...]

C'mon, Ig! You know enough about hydraulics and control electronics to
convert your saw to automatic feed. And you CERTAINLY have all the parts
lying around!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-13, dpb wrote:
On 09/13/2016 7:58 AM, Ignoramus16559 wrote:

The feed table is a roller conveyor, the outfeed is something my guy
made, nothing big and serious but very practical.

I would really like to get an automatic saw...

How long does it take for a cut, roughly???

5 minutes one rail, 8 minutes two. Roughly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16559"
these are new rails, I bought them at auction.

New rails? That explains why you are able to
cut them with a bandsaw. They are not yet
work hardened by service. phil k.