Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

In article , says...

On 09/11/2016 5:43 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

So this works out if I've calculated correctly, to 17 windows and 12
doors. Each window and six of the doors will need a storm window or
storm door and a screen.

Doing all this right and old-school, I figure that it's going to add up
to something like 484 mortise and tenon joints.

So, the question is what's the best way to approach those joints....

"Old-school" and my recommendation is the traditional full-length
one-piece tenon cut with stub spindle on shaper. If many of the windows
are of the same size, one can cut as many rails/stiles/muntins to length
in one operation as the material stock is wide-enough to allow, then
"stick" the ends before ripping to width and running the matching
moulding on sides. It is a quite efficient operation; see the old
Rockwell/Delta "Using the Shaper" book (there are at least a couple pdf
copies linked to at OWWM site) for a very detailed description of the
process.

Being as it's not so easy to find the stub spindles and matching cutters
for smaller shapers any more, but CMT and Amana and perhaps some others
now make router bit sets for the purpose, I'd suggest that route as most
efficient/cost effective.

That is an outstanding refernce. Thank you for the suggestion. For
anyone else looking for it I'm not going to slashdot the link I found by
posting it here, but the exact title is "Getting the Most Out Of Your
Shaper" by Sam Brown, which was in publication from some time in the
1930s on into the 80s. Amazon has numerous copies in various editions
and conditions ranging from 99 cents up to two thousand bucks!?!?!. I
have seen some with publication number 4535 and others with number
4575--I have no idea what the difference is.

---