Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

On 09/12/2016 4:48 PM, Leon wrote:

Since I have probably cut in excess of 20,000 mortises in the past 8
years with my Domino and maybe before that less than 100 with my
mortiser between 1998 and 2008 I am a very big fan of the floating
tenon. No failures yet and an "Enormous" time saver.

Have you used any for exterior application, Leon?

I would be interested in hearing what you objection would be to using
loose tenons.

I don't know that it'd make much difference but the biggest difference I
see in the windows is simply the full-length/width for the surface area
as opposed to the limited (relative) size of the loose tenon.

If they're cut as I suggested, I can't think there'd be any
time-savings, either; one gets multiple joints in one pass on the ends
by coping whereas each has to have both ends done as individual
operation otherwise; four operations per joint, total.

Then again, as we've often noted here, I'm an old traditional kinda'
guy, too...I just like the cope fit.